Screen keeps locking

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Screen keeps locking

Post by Skitterbug »

I give up. Just recently, my O/S decided to lock my screen whenever I am not using it for 3 or so minutes. I checked settings that I thought would disable this annoying feature (unless you are in a work setting....) but I have not had any success in stopping the action. Search the web! :smile: I found this page and followed the examples but it hasn't made a difference.

Any suggestions how to stop this feature? :hairout:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Screen keeps locking

Post by HansV »

What are your settings in Start > Settings > System > Power > Screen and Sleep? These are mine:

S2401.png

After 5 minutes, the screen goes dark, but as soon as I move the mouse or press a key, I'm good to go again.
After 15 minutes, the PC goes to sleep, I have to provide my pin code again after that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

HansV wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 18:12
What are your settings in Start > Settings > System > Power > Screen and Sleep? These are mine:

S2401.png

After 5 minutes, the screen goes dark, but as soon as I move the mouse or press a key, I'm good to go again.
After 15 minutes, the PC goes to sleep, I have to provide my pin code again after that.
I have both settings set to "never" in the hopes that I could stop the screen from locking so quickly. I like the idea of the screen simply going dark when not in use but I usually don't allow the PC to sleep or hibernate. Sometimes the PC is like me and doesn't want to wake up!

I'll try the screen setting and see what happens! :smile:

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Well, I made the change you suggested so the screen would go dark. It did go dark and then the usual log in screen popped up to let me know that I would have to log in again..... So that didn't work. It baffles me about what changed, especially since it was just fine last week.
None of the settings that I've set to "never" - made any difference. Your suggestion didn't make any difference.

Any other ideas? I'm open to trying them out. Maybe power toys has something to offer. I'll go take a look.........

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Click the Start button or press the Windows key.
Type screen saver and press Enter.
This should activate the Screen Saver Settings control panel.
What are the settings there? In particular, is the check box 'On resume, display logon screen' ticked?
If so, I'd clear that check box and click OK, to see if it makes a difference.
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

I'm sorry it took a bit to reply. I was verifying my activity, etc. But here is what I found.
When I checked the screen saver option, the logon box was not ticked and yet the screen was locking.......

So I did download the Power tools and tried "Awake". It didn't really do what I wanted either since it seems to cover the wake/sleep of the PC and not the screen.

So back to the screensaver box - I set the screen to "Blank" after 3 minutes and made sure the logon screen choice was unticked.
Then I went to the power settings and set the display: Which shows being turned off after 5 minutes (thought I had 3 in there but no, it says 5...... (hummm)
Computer goes to sleep after 30 minutes.

under Advanced power settings (why so many places to change things..... annoying): I made sure the sleep was set to 30 minutes and there it also says to turn off display after 5 minutes.

I'll post the pics at the end of this.

None of this worked until I rebooted the PC? But whatever.....

So the results are: The screen does go blank after 3 minutes.
After 5 minutes, it goes black and a message pops up saying "No Signal - entering power saving mode shortly"
And then the screen shuts down.

And finally, when I do hit the keyboard or wiggle the mouse, the screen returns to my desktop and I don't have to log in. So I guess the end result works and I will leave it alone for now. Eventually, I would rather have a screen saver like "ribbons" running rather than a blank screen but it didn't work when I tried it and the current blank screen does, so yes, I'll leave it be, for now.

Thanks for the time and help you provided. I really appreciate it!

And here are the "visuals" of my settings!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.