Focus On Desktop Shortcuts In Order To Use Them

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Focus On Desktop Shortcuts In Order To Use Them

Post by hlewton »

In the attached screenshot the red arrow points to the browser named Brave. When the focus is on any particular shortcut all I need to do to open that shortcut is double click it. But, as mentioned, it must be the shortcut that the focus is on.
Focus.jpg
So here is the problem. I have my power modes set to turn off only the monitor after 20 minutes of no action. This has always worked perfectly until a couple months ago when a Windows 11 updates caused the Win 11 machines to perform slightly differently. By moving the mouse, the monitor still wakes up. But even though I can move the mouse anywhere I want, I cannot get that focus to activate until about 5 or 10 seconds later than it should. This only happens on the left side of the screen. This is not a big problem and apparently is very well known since many seem to have it and have reported it to Microsoft.

This problem seems to affect most brands of computers. Power schemes have been readjusted, video drivers have been reinstalled, display drivers have been reinstalled, and the Win OS has been completely reinstalled only to continue to have the same problem. As far as reinstalling the complete OS, the problem only returns after the Windows updates are reinstalled again. I believe I read it was the January updates that caused this problem.

Microsoft doesn't seem to be in any hurry to fix this. So, I am wondering if anyone here has noticed this and could possibly have come across a fix for it that no one else seems to have found.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Focus On Desktop Shortcuts In Order To Use Them

Post by ChrisGreaves »

hlewton wrote:
15 Apr 2023, 18:31
... But even though I can move the mouse anywhere I want, I cannot get that focus to activate until about 5 or 10 seconds later than it should.
Hi. I can't help you there, and "the left side of the screen" sounds like a weird bug.
Untitled.jpg
FWIW my practice is to have NO shortcuts on the desktop. I launch common stuff with just one-click(1) from the taskbar.
I estimated a few years ago that 95% of my work was in about a dozen applications, hence the dozen on the task bar.
The remaining 5% of my work can be run from a folder titled "Maint"enance.
(1) A fifty-percent reduction in effort on my part!
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I cannot help you either as I do not have Windows 11, only Win 10 Pro. Never, however, have I ever come across the need for a desktop shortcut to have the focus before it can be launched with a double click. I would be very surprised if Win 11 operates any differently.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
15 Apr 2023, 20:28
hlewton wrote:
15 Apr 2023, 18:31
... But even though I can move the mouse anywhere I want, I cannot get that focus to activate until about 5 or 10 seconds later than it should.
Hi. I can't help you there, and "the left side of the screen" sounds like a weird bug.Untitled.jpg
FWIW my practice is to have NO shortcuts on the desktop. I launch common stuff with just one-click(1) from the taskbar.
I estimated a few years ago that 95% of my work was in about a dozen applications, hence the dozen on the task bar.
The remaining 5% of my work can be run from a folder titled "Maint"enance.
(1) A fifty-percent reduction in effort on my part!
Cheers, Chris
Let me say that it is a weird bug. I knew it was happening but only learned recently, from another tech site I belong to, that it was only happening on the left side of the screen and if one would move the shortcut to the right side of the screen, it would work. I tested this and sure enough it was true.

I have a program that arranges my desktop icons and remembers where they are located called WinTidy. It also quickly tells me how many desktop shortcuts I have. 116 is that number. I do almost everything from my desktop and though there may be some shortcuts that aren't really necessary, I like them all where I can see them. I'm just guessing, of course, but I believe I use about 60% of them on a fairly regular basis.

This problem is one that so many using Windows 11 have that some, because of it, have reinstalled Win 10.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

What do you perceive as the length of time it should take for the system to respond?
Does your system go to sleep or hibernate? Either would contribute to the length of time to be ready for use.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 18:39
What do you perceive as the length of time it should take for the system to respond?
Does your system go to sleep or hibernate? Either would contribute to the length of time to be ready for use.
All my machines have a power setting to only have the screen turn off after 20 minutes. See attachment.
Power Setting.jpg
This has always worked and when I wake the screen up, I was always able to do anything I wanted, including using any shortcut on my desktop, even on the left side of the screen. That is no longer the case. If you have time please see this thread in the Elevens Forum, Very Minor Desktop Icon Issue. It is not an imagined issue. One poster just very recently said his machine corrected itself but he doesn't seem to know how. Thanks for your post.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I recommend you file an issue in the Feedback Hub if there is not one there already. Microsoft pays attention there when enough people add comments and/or upvote the issue.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 14:51
I recommend you file an issue in the Feedback Hub if there is not one there already. Microsoft pays attention there when enough people add comments and/or upvote the issue.
Thank you. I will do that. Just curious, did you see from that link how many have the same problem?
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I did see there are 6 pages in that thread. I did not try to count the number of individuals who said they had the problem. In terms of Windows users, however many users that is is an insignificant number compared to the whole user base. I understand it is frustrating to those who run into it. Microsoft pays attention to the squeaky wheel. So, the more people that report it in the Feedback Hub the more visibility it will have to those who make decisions on what to fix.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Yep it is a long thread. I started a similar one in that forum and it took a few days but then someone directed me to that thread. I know it is long but I read every post to see if anyone had a clue to fixing it. Though there were a couple suggestions, none of them panned out for anyone.

I believe, I did send feedback a while ago but to be safe I sent it again this week. Again, thanks for your help.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You can check for similar feedback in the Feedback Hub just by entering words that relate to your problem in the search bar.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 15:33
You can check for similar feedback in the Feedback Hub just by entering words that relate to your problem in the search bar.
Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 15:33
OK, this one I may need a little more information. I opened an app, Excel, searched in the app itself and nothing. I got to Feedback and saw no way to do a search. So, not sure how I would search. Please see attachment as to what I see when I go to Feedback.
feedback Search.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Not there. Go to the Excel Feedback Portal.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 16:11
Not there. Go to the Excel Feedback Portal.
Thank you Hans. I am still a bit confused. I only went to Excel's links to get me to Microsoft's Feedback page. What I wanted to report has nothing to do with any of the Office programs. It is a Windows 11 problem but I previously didn't find a way to get specifically to Windows 11's Feedback. I just reworded my search and I think I may just have found the feedback site I need. I'm sure they wonder why I reported what I did from Excel - twice :scratch: .

Thanks again.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sorry, my bad.

In Windows, click the Start button, then type feedback hub and press Enter.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 20:40
Sorry, my bad.

Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 20:40
Sorry, my bad.

I sent feedback by accessing it as you suggested. I was asked to sign into my MS account, so I did. It mentioned, if I choose to sign into my MS account I would be able to follow any "votes" or replies to my feedback. I signed into both my MS account and my Hotmail account and I do not see any tabs or links to the feedback I created. So, I clicked on the Feedback Hub app from the start menu again and still I do not see anything I created. Do you know how or where I can see that feedback?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

After clicking on Feedback on the left hand side of the Feedback Hub, do you see All feedback, My feedback and Drafts? If so, click on My feedback.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 11:44
After clicking on Feedback on the left hand side of the Feedback Hub, do you see All feedback, My feedback and Drafts? If so, click on My feedback.
Yes, I found it. Thank you.
I got a vote not sure what it means. I assume it means someone else has the same problem.
Regards,
hlewton