Install Windows Media Player on Win 11 Pro Machine

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Install Windows Media Player on Win 11 Pro Machine

Post by hlewton »

Can I get Windows Media Player installed on my Win 11 Pro machine? I have tried the suggestions from the NET that said, Click Start button, then select Settings > Apps > Apps & features > Manage optional features > Add a feature > Windows Media Player, and select Install. Apps & Features was not there that I could find. Also went to the Microsoft Store and and tried updating the Library Apps to find it and still it wasn't there. There was one more step that it called a Sideload new Media Player app on Windows 11,but that didn't seem to be the legacy Windows Media Player. So am I stuck with the Sideload option or can I get the legacy Windows Media Player installed on my machine. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Install Windows Media Player on Win 11 Pro Machine

Post by stuck »

I can't help you with Win 11 Pro but on my Win 10 Pro machine that sequence (Settings > Apps > etc.) takes me to an entry for Windows Media Player.

That suggests to me that if you're sure you followed that sequence correctly and didn't find WMP then I guess that means that WMP is not an optional feature in Win 11. Wait for an actual Win 11 user to comment though.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 11:13
I can't help you with Win 11 Pro but on my Win 10 Pro machine that sequence (Settings > Apps > etc.) takes me to an entry for Windows Media Player.

That suggests to me that if you're sure you followed that sequence correctly and didn't find WMP then I guess that means that WMP is not an optional feature in Win 11. Wait for an actual Win 11 user to comment though.

Ken
I'm afraid of that. The two other Win 11 Pro machines I have, has Windows Media Player installed and active but they were both Win 10 machines first.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 11 (Home), so not upgraded from Windows 10. It came with Windows Media Player Legacy already installed. It looks like the version that was available in Windows 7:

S2378.png

If you click the Start button or press the Windows key, then type Windows Media, do you get Windows Media Player Legacy in the search results?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A more modern version called Windows Media Player can be downloaded from Microsoft Store.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Here is what I get when I type Windows Media, please see attachment.
Windows media.jpg
I followed a couple of the links and they all seemed to direct me to the Microsoft Store. So when I did a search there for Windows Media Player it gave me the option to open it, so I did. That made me believe I must have already had it installed. So I tested a little further.

Last night when I tried to open a *.wav file I was presented with a few files to choose from and none of them were the Windows Media Player, which is what I would have liked to use. Today I went to the Control Panel and searched for wav files in order to set a default player and Media Player was an option. So it is now set as the default. I believe my problem was looking for Windows Media Player instead of just Media Player. The strange thing is that Media Player was already set as the default. So this would never have happened if that wav file, which was in an email, had opened as it should have instead of presenting me with options to choose from in order to listen to the file. I do not have any idea why that would happen, but it did. Hopefully it will be working as it should if I ever receive another wav file in an email.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 11:37
I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 11 (Home), so not upgraded from Windows 10. It came with Windows Media Player Legacy already installed. It looks like the version that was available in Windows 7:

S2378.png

If you click the Start button or press the Windows key, then type Windows Media, do you get Windows Media Player Legacy in the search results?
I did not have the Legacy version anywhere on this machine, that I recall. I may have asked the fellow who builds my computer to install Windows Media Player and so that may be why I have it. I just don't remember for sure.

I want to mention this on the off chance you may not have known it because I sure didn't. I have a laptop that is Windows 10 and not compatible with Windows 11. It was a Windows 10 Home version for a couple years. Again, the fellow who builds my computers told me and I bought it for I believe 15 or 20 dollars, that there was a license key that immediately upgraded the Home to the Pro version. I liked that idea because it then allowed me more control when using the Group Editor. I had no idea how easy it was to upgrade to Pro from Home. I'd bet one could get it for even less than I did by by-passing the middle man. Just thought I'd mention it for what it's worth.

Thanks for the help you guys gave me.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you want the legacy Windows Media Player installed go to Start | Settings | Apps | Optional Features. You'll see a list of optional features already installed and a button at the top to add an optional feature. You should find the legacy Windows Media Player there.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 14:47
If you want the legacy Windows Media Player installed go to Start | Settings | Apps | Optional Features. You'll see a list of optional features already installed and a button at the top to add an optional feature. You should find the legacy Windows Media Player there.
Thank you Joe. I just saw it there. Do you know if the new Media Player and the legacy can both run on the same machine?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, they can.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

The NEW Windows Media Player will be automatically installed when Windows Update installs version 22H2.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rebel wrote:
06 Aug 2023, 21:48
The NEW Windows Media Player will be automatically installed when Windows Update installs version 22H2.
I just saw this. Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Once the legacy media player is installed, you can find it at Start | All Apps | Windows Tools
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
12 Aug 2023, 19:38
Once the legacy media player is installed, you can find it at Start | All Apps | Windows Tools
Thank you. Sorry about the late reply again I didn't get an email notification of your post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Email notifications appear to be off for the moment; you'll have to check the forum from time to time.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 14:57
Email notifications appear to be off for the moment; you'll have to check the forum from time to time.
Yep, thanks I'll do that.
Regards,
hlewton