11 or not?

silverback
5StarLounger

11 or not?

Post by silverback »

Ms has taken over my computer and put up a screen saying I'm now eligible for Windows 11. I don't know what to do.
If I choose the 'keep Windows 10' option, have I burned my boats and I will never be able to get 11?
Is it worth getting 11?
As it is my PC is unusable because I can't get past this flash screen.
Help, please
Thanks
Silverback

StuartR
Administrator

Re: 11 or not?

Post by StuartR »

I chose to remain with Windows 10, and have no regrets
Windows Update still offers me the option to install Windows 11
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows 11 is not really very different from Windows 10. The fall 2022 update has fixed some of the things Microsoft had removed from the initial release. But some of the changes take a while to get used to.

Doesn't the upgrade screen have "Decline upgrade" at the bottom?
Best wishes,
Hans

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

Just my 2 cents , The average opinion so far I have seen about windows 11 is that it is nice: Pleasant to look at and use. I have one computer with win 11 , but then I have quite a few and so can afford to have one nice to look at and to keep up with the newest, for the sake ofd it, keeping up with the newest I mean.
If you have less computers and need to do anything much on them, then I think you are probably best to stay on windows 10 for at least a year or two.
This is all just based on the average I have seen from reading or watching a lot of the various reviews and opinions that there are plenty of. I have not seen many recommending upgrading to win 11.
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Thanks, both.
I've decided to stay with Windows 10 for the moment.
In answer to Hans, No, the "Decline Upgrade" link is on a second screen which appears after one has clicked "Keep Windows 10" - which I hadn't tried before as I thought I might be burning my boats and rejecting 11 forever. Having chosen keep Windows 10, I'm now told that I will be offered Windows 11 via Windows Update. Bit of 'push' methodology going on here? :scratch:
Thanks
Silverback

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

I tried W11 for a few days months ago and was so disappointed, it takes me much longer to do the things I am used to do and I would have needed extra apps to make some things easier to use while still losing productivity.
I went back to W10.
A few weeks ago they asked if I would like to migrate again. No thank you.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I run both Win 11 Pro 22H2 and the current Win 11 Pro Dev channel build. Both have been solid for me. Win 11 does take a bit of adjustment. Some muscle memory needs to be retrained. Overall, I like the look and feel of it. In my day-to-day activities, I don't see much difference from Win 10 but I don't see the extra steps some people see either. I would say that if it is offered via WU it would be OK for you to upgrade. But, if for whatever reason you are reluctant it is fine to wait too.
Joe

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

I was initially very hesitant, deciding to either wait until Windows 12 was released or until MS terminated support for Windows 10. However yesterday (August 5, 2023), I decided to give Windows 11 a try. I initially tried to upgrade my Win10 Pro from Windows Update. This was exceedingly slow and eventually it stalled completely. I then tried the Upgrade Assistant and this method was faster and ran to completion.

While there are a few things that I dislike about Windows 11, for the most part I'm quite pleased with it. There was only one piece of software that wouldn't work (software for my Epson scanner), and while the Epson North American sites told me that this scanner was no longer supported, the European site had everything that I needed. Once I confirmed that my scanner was operational and that all of my other software and hardware was compatible, I did a complete backup (image) with Macrium Reflect.

And thank goodness for that! This morning I interrupted a DISM scan, and following that, a restart simply resulted in an endless "updates are underway" screen. Following a hard shutdown, I rebooted with my Macrium USB recovery stick and approximately 6 minutes later, I was back in business.

I'm looking forward to exploring (and possibly carefully tweaking) this new version of Windows.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Rebel wrote:
06 Aug 2023, 21:44
...(and possibly carefully tweaking) this new version of Windows.
My new laptop came with Win 11 Pro. The only non MS sanctioned thing I've done it is to install ExplorerPatcher, to restore some sanity to File Explorer. See my thread here:
    https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=309578

Ken

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

The only tweak I've made so far (apart from a few cosmetic changes) is to add a registry setting which enables the old right-click context menu in file explorer.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions