Search Icon On Taskbar

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Search Icon On Taskbar

Post by hlewton »

Until today the search icon on the taskbar was just the search glass. Now it is as seen in the attachment saying "Search The Web." I use Start11. I have looked at its setting as well as the Taskbar's settings. Can I get it back to just displaying a Search Glass alone.
Search.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Search Icon On Taskbar

Post by HansV »

In the Start11 settings, select Taskbar.
One option is to turn OFF "Let Start11 enhance the Taskbar".
If you don't want that, play with the "Taskbar buttons should be combined" options.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 12:48
In the Start11 settings, select Taskbar.
One option is to turn OFF "Let Start11 enhance the Taskbar".
This did not change anything except disable the "Taskbar buttons should be combined" options.
HansV wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 12:48

If you don't want that, play with the "Taskbar buttons should be combined" options.
I made sure this option was reset to have the buttons combined but the search glass still has "Search the WEB" on it.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't have Start11 myself, so I can't offer further help, sorry (except suggesting you uninstall it)
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 13:43
I don't have Start11 myself, so I can't offer further help, sorry (except suggesting you uninstall it)
I just contacted Start11's support. He doesn't believe it has anything to do with Start11. He asked if I had other similar programs, which I don't. Strange how it just started happening today. Not sure if there were any MS updates yesterday or not.
Regards,
hlewton

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

hlewton wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 15:18
Not sure if there were any MS updates yesterday or not.
How to view update history on Windows 11 - Pureinfotech
Leif

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

hlewton wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 12:24
Until today the search icon on the taskbar was just the search glass. Now it is as seen in the attachment saying "Search The Web." I use Start11. I have looked at its setting as well as the Taskbar's settings. Can I get it back to just displaying a Search Glass alone.
Search.jpg
Perhaps you are being experimented on: Microsoft experiments with new search buttons on the Taskbar in latest Windows 11 Dev Channel build | Windows Central
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

My Windows 11 version 22H2 is fully updated. When I display the search button, it doesn't have a caption. Also note that it points the other way.

S1827.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 15:28
hlewton wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 12:24
Search.jpg
Perhaps you are being experimented on: Microsoft experiments with new search buttons on the Taskbar in latest Windows 11 Dev Channel build | Windows Central
I seem to have their 3rd Search option. As Hans pointed out, my spy glass in reversed from what it should be. I should not be anyone that they are testing things on unless they do it without the users permission. I wish they'd give me a way to revert to what I want it to be.

Thanks for the information
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 16:28
...my spy glass in reversed from what it should be...
Could it be that the search feature you are looking at is not the Windows search feature?

I ask because the spy glass on your Taskbar appears to be the same as the 'Search Everything' icon on your Desktop and that icon is the icon for 'Everything' by 'voidtools' (https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/)

Perhaps if you uninstall 'Everything' the regular Windows search feature will reappear?

NB I don't have Win 11 nor do I have 'Everything', I'm just guessing here.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 17:46
hlewton wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 16:28
...my spy glass in reversed from what it should be...
Could it be that the search feature you are looking at is not the Windows search feature?

I ask because the spy glass on your Taskbar appears to be the same as the 'Search Everything' icon on your Desktop and that icon is the icon for 'Everything' by 'voidtools' (https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/)

Perhaps if you uninstall 'Everything' the regular Windows search feature will reappear?

NB I don't have Win 11 nor do I have 'Everything', I'm just guessing here.

Ken
Thanks for the reply but I'm pretty sure it isn't Search Everything because I have had it installed since I got the computer a couple months ago. It searches the local computer and any external drives attached to it. It has never searched the WEB. That Search the WEB icon disappears when I turn it off in the System - Personalize Settings as you see in the attachment.
Spyglass2.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

The attachment in this post is of a screenshot I just took today of my other Windows 11 machine. It looks just like my Windows 11 computer that is the subject of this thread used to look. The tilt of the spy glass is in the same direction on both machines and it seems they have always been the opposite of the screenshot Hans posted. Not sure if that is significant or not.

If I were being experimented on, as suggested above, would they have just picked one of my Windows 11 machines and left the other one alone? I cannot find any further information about this experiment. However, I sure am not an insider on the development channel that I am aware of. I would be aware of that if I were, correct?
OtherWin11.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you have Windows 11 22H2? I do.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 15:26
Do you have Windows 11 22H2? I do.
No not yet. Did that change the direction of the tilt of the spy glass for you? I ask because I just checked all my computers, including the Windows 10 ones, and they all tilt in the opposite direction of your screen shot. That gives me a little hope that when I get the 22H2 version, maybe mine will be corrected. I just do not like it the way it is now. Takes up too much real estate on the taskbar to suit me.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, apparently the change in direction of the search icon was one of the big improvements of Windows 11 22H2. How could we ever have lived without it? :innocent:

I read that there are actually several different versions of it:
- Just the icon
- The icon with the text "Search"
- The icon with the text "Search the web"
and perhaps even more. But I don't see a way to set that in the interface.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 15:56
Yes, apparently the change in direction of the search icon was one of the big improvements of Windows 11 22H2. How could we ever have lived without it? :innocent:

I read that there are actually several different versions of it:
- Just the icon
- The icon with the text "Search"
- The icon with the text "Search the web"
and perhaps even more. But I don't see a way to set that in the interface.
Thanks. I hope I can eventually get only the spy glass itself to display again.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Windows 11 ver. 22H2 just became available to me on the machine that we are discussing here. I am hesitant to install it. Why, I'm not at all sure.

If I install it, can it be reverted to the version I am now running? If so, are there any particular steps I need to do to assure it is completely reversed?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When you install Windows 11 22H2, Microsoft will leave a complete copy of your current version in the Windows.old folder. This will be kept for two weeks.
During those two weeks, you can completely revert to your current version from Start > Settings > System > Recovery > Go Back.
When the two weeks have passed, the Windows.old folder will be removed automatically, and you won't be able to go back to 21H2 anymore.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 19:52
When you install Windows 11 22H2, Microsoft will leave a complete copy of your current version in the Windows.old folder. This will be kept for two weeks.
During those two weeks, you can completely revert to your current version from Start > Settings > System > Recovery > Go Back.
When the two weeks have passed, the Windows.old folder will be removed automatically, and you won't be able to go back to 21H2 anymore.
Thanks that is good to know.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Updated the subject computer to version 22H2. Check out the attachment. Hope it stays that way.
22H2.jpg
Regards,
hlewton