Reduce Height of Taskbar

BobH
UraniumLounger

Reduce Height of Taskbar

Post by BobH »

Can the taskbar dimensions be changed. I'd like to reduce the height but cannot find any grab bars or other means to do so.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Reduce Height of Taskbar

Post by HansV »

There is no way to change it in the interface - you can only set the taskbar to hide automatically until you move the mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen:

S2536.png

You can change the height by creating a registry entry - see How to change Taskbar size on Windows 11.
Disclaimer: I haven't tried this myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hans, fwiw, I tried changing the registry with no effect. There is always the risk that I didn't follow the instructions correctly. Age is taking a toll.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Did you reboot after adding the registry value?
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

If you want to restore Win 10 type functionality to Win 11 I fear the only practical option is to use a third party utility like Explorer Patcher. However, as noted in other posts, using third party utilities to bend Win 11 back to Win 10 behaviour has its own drawbacks.

Sadly, when MS moves on like this, ignoring the screams and protests of 'power users' to bring back feature X, Y or Z, the best option is usually roll over and go with the (MS) flow.

Ken

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

File a suggestion using the Feedback Hub. If it gains enough support Microsoft may adopt it.
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for reminding me that I could make a suggestion, Joe.

I made my suggestion and noted that there were quite a few others complaining about loss of taskbar control in Windows 11.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Yes, there are many complaints. But, on any one issue a fairly large number of people might still be a small percentage of the population. Microsoft will direct its resources to that larger group especially if they are business users.
Joe