Unused vs Shrink Available

BobH
UraniumLounger

Unused vs Shrink Available

Post by BobH »

I have a lot of unused space on my internal 1TB hard drive on this HP laptop. Because I'm having trouble setting up an external USB HDD, I thought I'd look at partitioning the internal drive to create a web development partition for XAMPP and Wordpress. The screenshot below shows that 83% or 749GB of the C: drive is free. Shrink available shows 199GB.

Why such a difference between unused and available-to-shrink values? The C: drive shows 0% fragmented when I looked at defrag so fragmentation shouldn't account for the difference, should it?
Shrink Available vs Unused 2023-07-25_17h11_29.png
:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Unused vs Shrink Available

Post by JoeP »

Your clue is in the information message. There are files stored that are designated as unmovable. If one or more files are unmovable you can't make that partition any smaller than where the files are located.
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Joe.

Now, what makes a file unmovable? Can the user change it? :hairout:

Off to do some research. :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I got this changed. I assigned 250 GB to the C: drive and followed an article that allowed me to delete the unmovable files (or at least get them out of the way). I then created a partition that uses about half the available terabyte on the internal drive. Before I did anything Windows reported 0% fragmentation but DeFraggler reported 30+% fragmentation. I took the time overnight to defrag the drive.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Now on to recreating file search indexes.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)