.pf type files

BobH
UraniumLounger

.pf type files

Post by BobH »

PF file type 2023-07-24_20h06_01.png
Why can't I delete these entities?

I had a failed or partial XAMPP install a few days ago. I ran and XAMPP uninstall but it filed to get rid of this detritus and a bit more that I was able to delete. I plan to have another go at installing XAMPP and thought I should probably have a clean slate. I'm waiting to reinstall it until I get my external USB HDD installation issues resolved because I want to put all my web page development in one place and removed from my primary (internal) hard drive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: .pf type files

Post by HansV »

As the name of the folder C:\Windows\Prefetch suggests, they are so-called prefetch files. They are files used by the Windows operating system; I wouldn't mess with them.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You could try running ccleaner and telling it to clear "Old Prefetch data". This should be safe, but I have no idea how it defines 'old'
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

StuartR wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 08:40
You could try running ccleaner and telling it to clear "Old Prefetch data". This should be safe, but I have no idea how it defines 'old'
In support of Stuart's idea I can add that my Ccleaner settings have that box ticked and I've never had any problems.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Gentlemen.

So, because they are Windows function files, they cannot be deleted.

I tried CCleaner after checking the Old Prefetch Data box with no effect. My guess is that the files aren't yet old enough, being less than a week since they were created.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs