Windows constantly attempts to install updates that fail to install

jmt356
SilverLounger

Windows constantly attempts to install updates that fail to install

Post by jmt356 »

Every day since 12 July, about 2 to 3 times per day, Windows shuts down all my programs and attempts to install the following updates:

2023-07 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64 (KB5028937)

2023-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5028166)

Each time Windows attempts to install the updates, it fails and displays the following message in white font on a blue background:

We couldn't complete the updates
Undoing changes
Don't turn off your computer

And then:

Cleaning up
0% complete

Windows Update history gives this error:

Failed to install on ‎7/‎13/‎2023 - 0x8007000d

My questions:

1. Are these updates necessary?
2. If so, how can I get them to correctly install?
3. If not, how do I stop Windows from constantly trying to install them?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows constantly attempts to install updates that fail to install

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Since this is a Windows 10 issue, would that Windows 11 link address it?

Has anyone been through this before and found a solution that actually works?
Regards,

JMT

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I've had Win 10 Pro since version 1709. I'm all that time I think there's been two, at most, updates that have failed to install. I realise it's not a particularly sound strategy but in both cases I assumed the fault was with MS so ignored the problem. Sure enough, the problem cured itself and the update installed in due course.

Ken

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Windows 10 and Windows 11 are from the same code base. Outside of the last step which is specific to Windows 11, the others should be the same on Windows 10.
Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I tried following the instructions to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. It displayed the following issues:
Check for pending restart Detected
You have to restart the computer and then try running Wind… Completed

Check for Windows Update issues Detected
Resolve Windows Update issues Completed

I restarted the laptop today and once again came to the same error:

We couldn't complete the updates
Undoing changes

Cleaning up
0% complete

After restarting, I went into Windows Update. It says an update was not downloaded correctly and will try again. I paused updates for 7 days till 7.24. I also tried pausing updates a few days ago, but Windows ignored me and continues to restart my laptop every night. I hope this time it will actually comply and I will get a 1-week break from this issue.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Windows continue to randomly attempt to update windows despite my instruction to pause updates for seven days. So I tried to finally resolve this issue.

I believe I discovered what the problem was. It seems the issue is that I have encrypted my C drive. I believe that when the C drive is encrypted, windows updates, when it is outside of windows and restarting, is unable to access the seizure drive to make the edits necessary in order to implement the changes to the windows system. I just removed encryption from the C drive, while keeping the D drive encrypted. i then installed the updates. The following updates installed without any issues, as long as I had this seat Dr. unencrypted:

2023-07 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64 (KB5028412)

Feature Update to Windows 10, version 22H2
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I think it was something else or you were just lucky. I have had my C: drive encrypted with BitLocker since I acquired this PC and have never had an update issue. I do not attempt to postpone or mess with the Windows update process.

But, I am glad it is resolved for you.
Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Joe, do you have a single drive (C:) for both your OS and data? If so, I believe the decryption process works differently. You enter your password to get into C: before you get to your login page.

On my computer, I have two drives, C: (OS) and D: (data). I enter the password for D: after I enter Windows, and C: automatically decrypts when I log in. With this setup, I don't believe there is a way for Windows to modify the C: drive while outside of Windows while C: is decrypted, which explains why the updates kept on failing before I decrypted C:.
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I never have to enter a password to boot my system. C: is automatically mounted and programs/data decrypted as accessed. The files on your drive are never decrypted on the drive. They are decrypted when they are accessed. I suggest you read BitLocker FAQ for more details on how it works.
Joe