Moving files to default Documents folder and then synching in OneDrive

jmt356
SilverLounger

Moving files to default Documents folder and then synching in OneDrive

Post by jmt356 »

Microsoft Windows has a Documents folder in user profile folder to which documents are saved by default. On Computer 1, I moved that folder into OneDrive and save my documents there.

I also have Computer 2, which is registered with OneDrive. On Computer 2, Windows created a “Documents” folder in OneDrive and downloaded and synced the files I have in OneDrive to that folder. That “Documents” folder is not the default Documents folder that is found in my user profile. It is an ordinary folder that looks like this:
Documents - ordinary.jpg
Not like this:
Documents - default.jpg
I am about to change the default location of the default Documents folder on Computer 2. I will move it from the user profile folder to the OneDrive folder. I will then move the files from the ordinary "Documents" folder to the default Documents folder.

Will this cause OneDrive to believe that I deleted all the files from the ordinary "Documents" folder on Computer 2 and then cause them to be deleted in the cloud and then on Computer 1 when it syncs with the cloud? If so, is there a way to trick Windows to believe that the documents never moved?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Re: Moving files to default Documents folder and then synching in OneDrive

Post by jmt356 »

I tricked Windows so as not to allow OneDrive to detect the change. I moved all the files and the folder while the computer was offline. When it went back online, I turned on the Wi-Fi and OneDrive did not detect the change in the Documents folder, nor did it delete all my files.
Regards,

JMT