BitLocker for C: drive does not appear to be active

jmt356
SilverLounger

BitLocker for C: drive does not appear to be active

Post by jmt356 »

I recently migrated to a new laptop. I turned on BitLocker on the Data drive (D:). I was prompted for a password. The drive was encrypted.

I later turned on BitLocker on the Local drive (C:), which carries the OS. I was never prompted for a password. BitLocker says that it is on for C:, but when I log on to the laptop, I am never prompted for a password. If C: was correctly encrypted, shouldn't BitLocker prompt me for the BitLocker password before I even reach the Windows login screen?

This is a screenshot of what BitLocker looks like for C: and D:.
BitLocker.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: BitLocker for C: drive does not appear to be active

Post by JoeP »

The system drive is automatically unlocked during the boot process if your PC meets certain requirements. See Bitlocker Group Policy Settings. Also, you can start at Bitlocker Overview for an in-depth look at Bitlocker.
Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

What about from hibernate mode? It seems like BitLocker protection is useless if a thief can wake up a computer from hibernate mode and then get into Windows without having to enter the BitLocker password.
Regards,

JMT

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

jmt356 wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 06:02
What about from hibernate mode?
Have you tried it? - that is probably the quickest way to find out!

There is reference to Bitlocker and Hibernate in the Overview link Joe gave you...
Leif

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I am never prompted for my BitLocker password for C:, even when restarting and emerging from hibernation. I am only prompted for my BitLocker password for D: the first time I access D: after restarting or booting up, not after emerging from hibernation or sleep.
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

READ the article(s). I believe there is a way to always require a password on boot.
Joe