Running SFC on Windows 10 Ver. 22H2

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Running SFC on Windows 10 Ver. 22H2

Post by hlewton »

There is an update for my win 10 machine. It is what can be seen in the first attachment.
Update.jpg
I tried to install it and twice I got what looked like the BSOD but it gathered information and finally restarted. Once again this same update ws offered. So I tried to install it. I didn't capture the exact message but it said this update could not be installed. In searching I found it was suggested I run SFC and DISM commands. I tried running SFC /SCANNOW as the Administrator and I got the message you see in this attachment.
sfc.jpg
What can I do to run this command and try to repair this computer?
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Running SFC on Windows 10 Ver. 22H2

Post by JoeP »

As a general rule, I recommend you do not install preview updates unless there is something specific in the update to resolve a problem you have. Microsoft releases preview versions to see if there are problems in the wild. Occasionally, they will make more changes if there is enough problematic feedback. This may be happening on your system. Without more information about the error it is very difficult to tell.

Reboot your system. Then in an elevated command prompt run "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" followed by "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" (without the quotation marks) before running SFC.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I have tried that and this is what I get.
dism.jpg
I have no idea where to go from there so I was looking how I could run a repair on windows 10 and keep all my apps and data. I have canceled it twice because I don't want to lose my apps. If I can't get the DISM commands to run, do you know how I can repair windows 10 and keep all my apps as I want?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I managed to get to the safe mode and tried running both the DISM and the SFC commands and got the same error message. I still have not found a way to repair and not lose any of my apps.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Did you look at the log file for additional information?
See this thread Reinstall Windows 10 without losing apps and data for instructions about an in-place upgrade.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
05 May 2023, 16:45
Did you look at the log file for additional information?
See this thread Reinstall Windows 10 without losing apps and data for instructions about an in-place upgrade.
I didn't look at any log files. Not sure what I look for or what log files either. Thank you for the link.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

The log file name and location are in the picture you posted right before the command prompt at the bottom. I'd look near the end of the file for more information about an error. You might have to scroll backward from the end of the file as some products log a lot of information just during wrap-up and termination.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
05 May 2023, 17:44
The log file name and location are in the picture you posted right before the command prompt at the bottom. I'd look near the end of the file for more information about an error. You might have to scroll backward from the end of the file as some products log a lot of information just during wrap-up and termination.
Thank for that information. Not sure it would do any good now. Somehow I got an ISO file created by downloading the media creation tool for the latest version for win 10. Windows was reinstalled and all is good. I did run an SFC /scannow and it found and correct some files. So since it ran after the new installation from that ISO file, I guess I'm all set. Thanks again for your help.
Regards,
hlewton