How to obtain a list of installed browsers?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

How to obtain a list of installed browsers?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Yet another phone call to an online bank help line, who tell me that I can't login in because I am using an unsupported browser (FireFox 106.0 64bit, which is, for the past two days, not the top-of-line model), and that if only I would install a different browser OR start doing my online banking through a phone, I would be able to withdraw some (or the way I feel right now, all) of my cash.
:burnup:
Hence my visit to Eileen's Oasis, to get me calmed down.

Last time I looked Firefox was the browser-of-choice here, and I have dabbled in various other browsers.

The question is, right now, before I install yet-another-browser (or an updated copy of an existing browser), how do I obtain a list of browsers that are already installed on my Win10 system laptop?

I fear that I am Paranoid, and the older I get, the less I like changing things on a PC. If I still have one of Vivaldi, Chrome, Edge etc installed, I might try that browser. I just don't know where to obtain a set of choices, without trying to execute each one of them.
Untitled.png
Control Panel; Programs and Features, and RevoUninstaller deliver a list of programs, but it would be easy to miss a browser program with, perhaps, an unusual name, or an icon that was not basically red.

Thanks in advance
Chris :broke:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: How to obtain a list of installed browsers?

Post by HansV »

Start RegEdit and take a look at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Clients\StartMenuInternet
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 14:02
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Clients\StartMenuInternet
Untitled.png
Thank you, Hans!

:whisper: Although I find it odd that Control Panel (image in my first post) says I have Opera and Vivaldi installed. :scratch:

Chris :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What do you see under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet ?
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 14:36
What do you see under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet ?
Untitled.png
Hi Hans, I see FOUR browsers from which I can choose, so whereas the first Regedit pass found me just two browsers (Firefox, iExplorer), this method finds me four browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi; but not iExplorer).
As a bonus, I can read the executable path to each browser (handy for creating shortcuts)
Untitled2.png
Then I thought "what would make me want to open a browser from a choice of browsers?", and the answer was and is "an HTML page"!
So I right-clicked and chose OpenWith, which gives me a choice of six browsers (Firefox, Chrome, iExplorer, Edge, Opera and Vivaldi).
So right now the terrible answer to my question seems to be "Poke around a lot, and build your own list".
Untitled3.png
RevoUninstaller 2.3.9 shows only four of these browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi).

I find it exceeding strange that there appears to be no way to get a definitive list of Browsers.
Or, of course, "plain text editors", "PDF printers", "spreadsheet processors" and so on. That is mainly because, childlike :stamps foot: I want a list of Browsers NOW! but it seems odd that applications do not have available tags which tell the inquirer what type of beast they are.
Thanks, Chris

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 13:53
Yet another phone call to an online bank help line, who tell me that I can't login in because I am using an unsupported browser (FireFox 106.0 64bit, which is, for the past two days, not the top-of-line model), and that if only I would install a different browser OR start doing my online banking through a phone, I would be able to withdraw some (or the way I feel right now, all) of my cash.
:burnup:
Hence my visit to Eileen's Oasis, to get me calmed down.
With all due respect, me thinks you are wrong in your approach. I would either a) demand to speak to a more knowledgeable person on the bank helpline, b) ask why your browser is deemed to be unsupported and c) transfer your account to a more tech savvy bank.

Out of curiosity, is this a Canadian bank and if so, which one?

Just my :2cents: worth … :flee:
Regards,
Bob

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
...and I have dabbled in various other browsers.

Browsers.jpg
Just curious - is that a special nativity version?
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobArch2 wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 13:40
.... I would either a) demand to speak to a more knowledgeable person on the bank helpline, b) ask why your browser is deemed to be unsupported and c) transfer your account to a more tech savvy bank.
Hi Bob. I have given up on (a). Large corporations nowadays don't want to speak with customers; banks especially are far too busy clinking glasses of champagne in the cafeteria. I really do suspect that when a help-line clerk says "I'll go and ask my supervisor", they actually use it as a :toilet: break and so don't lose hours. Insisting to speak with a manager brings an near-immediate response "I'm sorry; he/she/it is not at their desk. Can you call back later"

(b) The help line clerk is not trained to debate how things were done 10, 20, or 30 years ago. They certainly don't have a clue as to why a "stable platform" is important. To them a browser is something you use to listen to a rubbishy song, not something that must interact with your Word2003-VBA/Selenium programming code.

(c) Now this I do, but it is a game of whack-a-mole. I was led to EQ bank back around 2015; they had an introductory interest rate of 2,25% or thereabouts, subsequently lowered to 1.25%, then TG bank started up with an introductory rate, so I switched. Now Motus Bank is offering 2.1%, but they need validation via a laptop browser, a mobile phone browser, an SMS video, a glare-free photograph AND a submitted video of me, face-on, answering a skill-testing question which I will possibly fail because, well, I have been raised to find alternate solutions, right? And we already know how I feel about mobile phones and SMS.

FWIW back in the days when banks used 80-column punched cards, you could walk into your local branch and ask that someone manually change your credit-card statement date, and an extra 80-column punched card would ride along with that night's batch process stream, and you would have been happy, had we had credit cards back in those days.

So, last night I transferred $11,000 from my TG account to BMO, because we can't transfer between online banks yet; always has to go through a bricks-and-mortar, to protect me donchaknow? But the $11,000 won't show up for five business days, because that's the way that fast-as-light electronic banking works.
Out of curiosity, is this a Canadian bank and if so, which one?
All three are online banks, and based in Canada, and I wouldn't dream of saying it was Motus Bank, because they are the ones that insist of all this new-fangled electronic stuff like smart-phone-video-SMS, and I think that if I singled out TG as the culprit in the browser wars, I might be accused of violating some sort of privacy issue.

Now see what you've done: Gotten me all worked up again, and I still have an hour to go before lunchtime.
Cheers, Chris
PS If you are asking because you are thinking of moving to Newfoundland, Canada, don't arrive with $US. They'd have a fit up here! C

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Leif wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 14:23
ChrisGreaves wrote:
...and I have dabbled in various other browsers.

Browsers.jpg
:rofl:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 14:23
"No!", he replied, mulishly.
Good one, Christmas-Leif :clapping:
Cheers, :xhumbug:

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 14:34

So, last night I transferred $11,000 from my TG account to BMO, because we can't transfer between online banks yet; always has to go through a bricks-and …

Now see what you've done: Gotten me all worked up again, and I still have an hour to go before lunchtime.
Cheers, Chris
PS If you are asking because you are thinking of moving to Newfoundland, Canada, don't arrive with $US. They'd have a fit up here! C
If you have accounts at both banks, with online access, you can transfer funds, but with a limited daily amount. I have transferred $ from RBC to CIBC, CIBC TO RBC and RBC to a family member who needed $ due to the pandemic situation. In all cases the $ were transferred in an instant. The main issue is the daily limit. My transfer limit is $2,500 so when the family member needed $ it took me a few days to transfer the total amount they needed. If that limit of $2,500 is in place at your banks then it would obviously take 5 days before the total funds would be in place. But, earning some interest starting with the first transfer.

It is now lunchtime for you … hopefully you have calmed down. :innocent:

As for a trip to Newfoundland, I was first there in October 1942 (as previously noted in a PM) and the summer of 1949 visiting family. No plans at the moment for a revisit.
Regards,
Bob