RANT: Everything I knew about Windows is being denied me

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: RANT: Everything I knew about Windows is being denied me

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 07:24
Have you somehow changed your Windows Search settings and thus perhaps excluded it from finding stuff on your own PC?
Thank you, Ken. And yes, knowing me, I have changed something mea culpa in advance.
Untitled2.png
While taking the two screen snapshots (pasted together), the text changed to something like "Indexing has been temporarily paused due to user activity"; I think regular indexing is ON, although I use Everything for drive searches; i use File Explorer search only for local folder searches.

I will switch from "Classic" to "Enhanced" right now and see if that changes things. [pause] Nope! A search for 'restore' still leads me to the shortcut to backup and restore.

'Advanced Search Indexer Settings' includes Start Menu and Users, but excludes AppData. :scratch:
'Advanced' tab has 'Index encrypted files' and 'Treat similar words ...' both set to OFF
'File Types' Tab has all types checked ON and "Index properties only'

I can't recall changing things in here, but that means little. I have been using Everything for at least four years, and the only changes i can ever recall making to Indexing was to turn it off, or turn it on again.
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rebel wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 05:48
I have no idea why it's not working for you Chris, but If I search for "System Protection", this is what I get:
Thanks John.
It is beginning to appear that once again, Microsoft has singled me out as a punishment for my years of criticism :evilgrin:

I tried "System Protection" without quotes, and then with quotes, both times pasted from your reply here, for what that's worth. Well, I CAN make typing mistakes ...

I know that I have created restore points since I bought this laptop last July?, and after 24 hours of Rant, I now begin to doubt myself.

Have I indeed initiated a Restore Point via the Search mechanism? I am inclined to think so, but now the pressure of doubt begins to overwhelm me.
Perhaps after a few miserable days last July I dropped into a search for Dear Old Control Panel, because, well, in those first weeks, that worked, and still does, so in that limited sense, Search can find some useful things.

Right now it appears that something has changed I have made something change on my system. The trouble with that is the timing. I can't remember the last time I changed something related to Windows and Searching, and I can't remember whether I have tried creating a System Restore Point since than moveable feast.
I do know that I have been creating System Restore Points over the past year, because from time to time members do suggest software and I do install some of it; and I like to make restore Points beforehand.

(later)
Untitled3.png
I just thought to check that I am configured for Restore Points. Over the past 20? years I have set the storage to zero to inhibit disk use temporarily, but no, I have 'System Protection' turned on, with 8 GB remaining.

And yes, just now I searched for 'System Protection' and got the familiar list of web results.

I am pretty well resigned to doing a factory reset the next time it rains here in Bonavista.

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 07:40
I may well be missing something, but the internet is stuffed with ways of creating a restore point by double-clicking a desktop icon!
Hi John.
No, you are not missing something, and yes, I am now using this Internet thingy to find ways of doing things :grin:

This Rant started because I believed that a recent Win10 update had changed things when i wasn't looking, hence my feeling that my knowledge was being eroded. Twenty-four hours of responses convince me that my system is at fault, and that always means that I am at fault; I have changed something that has upset the Microsoft apple-cart (ouch!).

I rather think that a factory reset is my best bet at this point. I have had a year to play around with Win10, and a fresh start might be seen as a Good Thing.

Cheers
Chris (we need a smiley :tailbetweenlegs:)

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have windows search options set to "Classic" and it still finds "create a restore point" when I type "restore"
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 08:49
I have windows search options set to "Classic" and it still finds "create a restore point" when I type "restore"
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :hairout: :hairout: :hairout:

Thanks, I think, Stuart. :laugh:
Cheers
Chris (who is now :please: for rain in Bonavista

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

A couple of idle thoughts...

Although it looks like from the original screenshot posted that you are indeed searching 'All', the results are similar to what I get if I select 'Web'.
Could you try searching just under Web, then returning to All and see if it kick starts something?

Otherwise, I assume that results shown are restricted to what your Search/Indexing options are set to:

x.jpg

Is it possible that you have excluded the locations where the Apps may be found?
Leif

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 08:01
Maybe it is time for a factory reset; it's been almost a year...
I think Win 10 1709 was the first incarnation I had. In all the time I've had Win 10 I've never needed to do a factory reset. Then again, I've never tried to make Win 10 look / feel / behave like Win 7 by changing settings here there and everywhere.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

StuartR wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 08:49
Me too but I've no memory of explicitly setting the search options to 'classic'. Would that be something that running O&O Shutup10 would do?

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

stuck wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 12:49
I've no memory of explicitly setting the search options to 'classic'. Would that be something that running O&O Shutup10 would do?
I think it is the default
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I see that the 2nd entry is restore and not the link.
I would delete that link from your Recent folder and give that a try.

The link is dated 12/12/2020
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 09:37
A couple of idle thoughts...
Always welcome ...
Could you try searching just under Web, then returning to All and see if it kick starts something?
Untitled.png
I typed 'restore' in the search box and saw the "backup restore"link; then I chose 'web', same result; then I clicked back on' All' and got the same result, which is reproduced above.
Is it possible that you have excluded the locations where the Apps may be found?
yes! It is.
Untitled2.png
Ah Hah!
I chose the folder "C:\Program Files" and then chose "Remove Excluded Folder". That folder no longer appears on the list. I shall now reboot and try rebuilding the index, then reboot and try searching again.
Thanks from
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

yes! It is.
Untitled2.pngAh Hah!
I chose the folder "C:\Program Files" and then chose "Remove Excluded Folder". That folder no longer appears on the list. I shall now reboot and try rebuilding the index, then reboot and try searching again.
Untitled.png
After the reboot I found a troubleshooter, told it "Can't find files" or similar, ran it, said "No, that did not fix the problem"; it wandered off and returned to say "Fixed", but I wasn't convinced.
Untitled2.png
Then I thought to check search options from File Explorer, but as far as I know, these settings are correct.

So here I am, rebooted. I still get that dear old "backup and restore link" when i search.

Rain is forecast for Monday, but I am dog-sitting that day, so any system rebuild&update would be interrupted. Maybe I will rebuild Sunday night. This Rant is turning into a time-consuming exercise for everyone.
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 15:18
I see that the 2nd entry is restore and not the link. I would delete that link from your Recent folder and give that a try. The link is dated 12/12/2020
Hi Dave.
In .. Appdata\Microsoft\Windows\Recent there were 148 entries, about half of them MP3 tracks. I deleted all.
Then I tried again to Search for 'restore' and saw ...
Untitled3.png
Am I wrong in anticipating at least one entry that leads to the beloved 'Create a Restore Point'?
Cheers
Chris

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 11:15
Leif wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 09:37
yes! It is.
Personally, I would delete all the exclusions (except perhaps anything with a ~ in the path) and leave it for a day or so for Windows to work its painstakingly-slow magic.

Alternatively, simply wait for Windows 11. After all, "Windows 11 provides a calm and creative space... " and you can "...Access all the apps you need and multi-task with ease..."
What more could you possibly ask for?
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

And with rounded corners too!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 14:48
And with rounded corners too!
Which allow MS to send you more calmly round the bend.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hurry and get everything set up the way you want it in Windows 10 because Windows 11 was just announced and should be available this Autumn. :grin:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 09:53
... I seek re-assurance that Microsoft really has embarked on a program of reducing my previous knowledge towards zero without making any functional changes to the operating system. ...
Well. OK. Either I, or else Microsoft changed something in this business of searching; probably me.
I still maintain that everybody is getting too big for their boots. I have installed Firefox in order to report back here, and even Mozilla is in on the act with a dozen or so data gathering check boxes to check off. When did computing have to be so complex?

The installation was completed in less than a day; I went from the ISO CD of 2020/09/16 because no matter what I tried with the Alt-F10 trick I could not arrive at the famous "factory reset" screen. While installation progressed I got to transplant almost all of my remaining seedlings and thin the mint.

Once installation was complete I decided to create a restore point, and the following image shows that searching for "restore" brings me to what I want. The Restore Point is created.
20210617_01.png
That done I searched for System Image (below), because I wanted a complete copy of this six-hour long process as a time-saver. System Image wasn't direct; it wanted me to poke around the cloud or somewhere, but I finally tracked down the "Windows 7 backup to external hard drive" option and chewed up around 25GB of my 300GB usb drive.
20210617_02.png
And that is it for me for the day, as far as Windows goes. I will install my copy of Office, and tomorrow, while dog-sitting, shall work my way through my 131-step procedure for rebuilding the Windows aspects of my Win10 system.
I rather fancy starting a new thread called "A Gardener's Guide Regarding Allowable Variations Appertaining To Installation Of Novelties", unless one of you can come up with a better title.

In the thread I shall log my customization of Win10, with what ought to be non-contentious issues (such as Regional settings) listed until I come to a point that could be argued either way. Then let the shouting start (grin!)

I once again issue my thanks to every one who contributed to this thread.
Cheers
Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 19:29
... and thin the mint.
It's just a wafer thin mint now? :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans