Windows 10 and the disappearing/reappearing NAS

WebGenii
StarLounger

Windows 10 and the disappearing/reappearing NAS

Post by WebGenii »

I have multiple Windows 10 machines and a Linux NAS,
The NAS has repeatedly gone missing from file explorer view. It may spontaneously reappear days later or not. Then when visible, the password for access is rejected.
In previous troubleshooting efforts I have concentrated on the NAS - but I'm pretty sure the problem is actually on the Windows side of things, because this time I know it happened after a Windows 10 update.
Things I've done.
Connected to the NAS via a browser window. Verified the user name and password works for loggin in.
Connected to the NAS shared drive via another machine (which whoops, was then updated and now is in the same pickle)
Ensured SMB 1.0/CIFS Client is turned on
Set Local Policies -> Security Options "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" to: LM and NTLM – use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated (I thought that worked briefly, before it stopped working as I was able to navigate around the share again. But it stopped the next day. Also, it only "fixed" the problem on one computer. So maybe it was just a cruel coincidence).
Removed Windows credentials for the share (both the IP address and the Name)
Checked various services to ensure that they are running.
Mapped the shared drive using the Net Use command (in conjunction with the local policies above - that seemed to work temporarily)
Experimented with a couple of registry edits - no impact.
Rolled back the update to no effect.

I'm at my wits end. Suggestions will be gratefully received.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Windows 10 and the disappearing/reappearing NAS

Post by stuck »

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

WebGenii ... I'm at my wits end. Suggestions will be gratefully received.
I can confirm Stuck's mention of Malwarebytes as the cause of a similar case I had late October when Malwarebytes released an update. Which has since been corrected with a further update.

I am running Malwarebytes Premium ... not sure if a like problem is with the free version.
Regards,
Bob

WebGenii
StarLounger

Post by WebGenii »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not running Malwarebytes.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

WebGenii wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 18:05
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not running Malwarebytes.
Can you think of any other recently installed new apps or software updates, other than the Windows update?

Can you turn off any third party virus scanners or malware scanners ... temporarily only of course. Let Windows Defender be your sole protector. Just stabs in the dark here as I know how frustrating non access to the NAS can be.
Regards,
Bob

WebGenii
StarLounger

Post by WebGenii »

Hi Bob
No I don't have any third party virus/malware scanners. Nor new software. Its' windows update for sure.

But - I rebooted the NAS and suddenly I have access again (I had to reenter my username and password, but windows accepted it). And I wonder, in one of the many kinda related articles I read someone mentioned that the credential service can still hold onto information. (was it that Malwarebytes article?) Anyhow, I'm wondering if rebooting the NAS allowed the credentials to be rewritten? I mean yes the problem is solved currently, but if it is caused by windows update then I know it is coming back. I'd like to understand the problem better.
The credential problem is weird, because the username password information is held by the OS of the NAS not my computer. But if windows cached this info? I dunno.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

WebGenii wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 00:12
Hi Bob
No I don't have any third party virus/malware scanners. Nor new software. Its' windows update for sure.
My first NAS was a WD MyBookLive which did not provide any issues prior to upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 8.1. After the upgrade I ran into similar issues that you are experiencing. Research took me to WD Support that said the MBL was a legacy product and not supported under Windows 10. However research also found a solution as identified here:

Service Message Block workaround

The solution does present some security issues but it worked for me. After each Windows Feature update the settings were turned off and I had to reset it. About 9-10 Feature updates. Then due to problems with the MBL, I replaced it with a newer NAS, a Synology DS218plus that has worked fine with the SMB left as defined by Feature updates. Then that Malwarebytes bug raised its ugly head a few months ago that was resolved through an update to Malwarebytes. I know you said you are not running Malwarebytes. Maybe try the SMB setting as mentioned in the above link. Just as a test because of the previous remark about potential security issues (which never happened in the 4+ years that I used the suggested setting).

(Edited to add: OOPS, just saw where you did reset the SMB setting ... sorry)
Regards,
Bob