Can’t See Network Computers In Windows File Explorer

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Can’t See Network Computers In Windows File Explorer

Post by StuartR »

hlewton wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 13:31
Does this mean you can see your other network computers with no issues?
Yes, it does.

The lines I use to stop and start this service are:

Code: Select all

NET STOP FDResPub
ping -n 2 -w 1000 16.1.1.0
NET START FDResPub
The ping just puts in a 2 second delay to allow time for the service to fully stop and be able to start again.
Note that the name used here is FDResPub, not Function Discovery Provider Host. This is the actual service name.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 22:30
hlewton wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 13:31
Does this mean you can see your other network computers with no issues?
Yes, it does.

The lines I use to stop and start this service are:

Code: Select all

NET STOP FDResPub
ping -n 2 -w 1000 16.1.1.0
NET START FDResPub
The ping just puts in a 2 second delay to allow time for the service to fully stop and be able to start again.
Note that the name used here is FDResPub, not Function Discovery Provider Host. This is the actual service name.
This is my bat file:

net stop "Function Discovery Resource Publication"

net start "Function Discovery Resource Publication"

Should I put your second line into it? Also how do you run yours? I have to click on my bat file while it is on the desktop of each computer.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have a scheduled task that runs whenever I log in. This mounts my encrypted data volume, restarts the search service so that it works on the encrypted volume, mounts lots of network drives, and now also restarts FDResPub.

The two second delay was needed for restarting Windows search, I haven't checked whether FDResPub restarts immediately.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 11:25
I have a scheduled task that runs whenever I log in. This mounts my encrypted data volume, restarts the search service so that it works on the encrypted volume, mounts lots of network drives, and now also restarts FDResPub.

The two second delay was needed for restarting Windows search, I haven't checked whether FDResPub restarts immediately.
Thank you but I have no idea how to run a scheduled task. I just hope MS corrects this thing soon.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The way to run a scheduled task is to run Task Scheduler, click on Create Task, Set the action to be your bat file, create a new trigger "At log on". Give it a try and let us know if you run in to problems.
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

BUT, in order to use Scheduled Tasks" one MUST use a pass worded account!
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 13:50
The way to run a scheduled task is to run Task Scheduler, click on Create Task, Set the action to be your bat file, create a new trigger "At log on". Give it a try and let us know if you run in to problems.
If DaveA is correct I won't be able to use Task Scheduler. I do not log into anything when I boot up. There is only 1 account on all my machines and that is the one it goes to after booting.

This is what I found on the NET: "Every scheduled task runs under a user login account that requires a valid user with password on the operating system. By default, Windows OS does not allow users to schedule task when a blank password is used to login into the system."
So I won't be able to do that, I guess.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK this is getting more complicated but I would like your opinion. I found this on the WEB. What do you think about it?

Using task scheduler with blank password
Syncrify uses Windows built-in Task Scheduler to run backup tasks. Every scheduled task runs under a user login account that requires a valid user with password on the operating system.

By default, Windows OS does not allow users to schedule task when a blank password is used to login into the system. This is done for security reasons and therefore, we strongly recommend you do not use a blank password if you want to run scheduled tasks.

Having said that, it is possible to configure the operating system to allow executing tasks with a blank password. The following steps demonstrate how to modify this setting.

Logon to your computer as an Administrator or with a login ID having admin access
Go to Control Panel / Administrative Tools
Double click Local Security Policy

Then, open Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options

Double click on Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only
Click Disable and then click Apply and Ok.

Once this option is disabled, Windows operating system will allow running a scheduled task without a password.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I can't comment on this. I would never allow any user account to have a blank password.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 23:14
I can't comment on this. I would never allow any user account to have a blank password.
OK but I am the only one that uses these accounts or at least manages them.

I remembered from some time ago that Windows Home version did not have the options that I needed to set this up. I did find at another site, Major geeks, a bat file that fixed that for me. So I am going to experiment with those laptops first to see if it makes any difference. I am not holding out much hope though because, as I have mentioned a few times, after running my bat files to see the other computers they are no longer available after that incident of Windows File Explorer is closed.

Again, I have never fooled around with the task scheduler so I may have to return with some questions.

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I tested it on only 1 computer other than the one I am on. That other computer showed up in Windows File Explorer' network option 1 time, the same as if I had run it manually on that machine. So that wasn't the solution for me. If I thought it would do any good, I would give MS a call.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well it appears I do need a little advice. How do I delete this task I created?

I opened Task Scheduler, picked the task I created from a list in the Task Scheduler Library, chose the Action Tab, and then delete. When I tried to exit I got the text box saying, You must enter a task name and at least one action. Please see the attachment. So what did I miss and how can I delete this task?

TaskScheduler1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I found out how on the NET. Right clicking the task and choosing Delete did it.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I think you could save yourself a lot of frustrations if you were to start using password with your machines.

If you are the only one that has access to these machines, then I would make two pass worded Admin type accounts on each machine.

Use the SAME name and password on all machine for one of the account, this one will be your backdoor if you get locked out, it will also act as the key to the other systems across network. Make sure that the Network Shares are different on each machine, this helps in seeing what machine you are accessing.
The other user account can be any name and any password and would be your normal daily used account.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 14:53
I think you could save yourself a lot of frustrations if you were to start using password with your machines.

If you are the only one that has access to these machines, then I would make two pass worded Admin type accounts on each machine.

Use the SAME name and password on all machine for one of the account, this one will be your backdoor if you get locked out, it will also act as the key to the other systems across network. Make sure that the Network Shares are different on each machine, this helps in seeing what machine you are accessing.
The other user account can be any name and any password and would be your normal daily used account.
Thanks Dave for that. I would never try on my own to make those changes. I would have to get the guy who builds them back out here and then I'm not sure it would solve more than it would create. By that, I mean the 90 some different paths that MyFolders already created and still work.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

SOLVED, I do believe. Someone at another site sent me a link that took me to this:
Latest MBAM Appears To Kill Local Network Sharing / Visibility
It seems an update to MBAM (sometime in the last week or two) has effectively disabled both Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing in Windows 10. That is, even with those features enabled they are non-functional.
I have two nearly identical PCs (both running Windows 10 Pro and both running Malwarebytes) on a home network that is shared with a NAS and various other devices. After years of trouble-free networking I discovered that when I open File Explorer on either machine I was suddenly unable to see any other devices on the network. After hours of failed troubleshooting I finally called Microsoft Tech Support and allowed them to connect to one of my PCs remotely. After a very frustrating hour they asked if I would disable my antivirus software so they could perform further testing. Within seconds of turning off Malwarebytes all my missing devices became visible in File Explorer! My other PCs, the NAS, the home theater - everything. And when I re-opened MBAM they all disappeared again.
Unfortunately, I can find no option in the Malwarebytes setup to account for this nor could I find any documentation here or elsewhere to explain what's happening which begs the question: Is this a bug?

I quit Malawarebytes on my computers and they once again became visible in Windows File Explorer
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK a Joe at Woodys, who I think is the same Joe we have here, pointed out that a new version of Malawarebytes has been released which is supposed to fix the problem this thread is all about. I just loaded it on all my machines and they are now all visible in Windows File Explorer again. So I do believe that is fixed.

However, if I find myself having to run the Function Discovery Resource Publication again, so far I have not had to, but if it had to be done I would once again entertain the idea of setting that up in Task Scheduler. I'm just not sure how I would know if my bat file were actually executed on log in. I have looked in the Task Scheduler under Task Scheduler Library and under the Status column I only see statuses of "Ready" and Running" This bat file would be neither of these, I believe. So how would I know it was executed?
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

When you run a BAT file from Task Scheduler it displays the output in a command window. If you put a PAUSE command at the end of the BAT file then it will leave the command window open so you can see what output there was. You then type any key to close the window.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 08:03
When you run a BAT file from Task Scheduler it displays the output in a command window. If you put a PAUSE command at the end of the BAT file then it will leave the command window open so you can see what output there was. You then type any key to close the window.
Thank you. I may not have to use it since the computers are still showing the network in Windows File Explorer.
Regards,
hlewton

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

hlewton wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 17:44
SOLVED, I do believe. Someone at another site sent me a link that took me to this:
Latest MBAM Appears To Kill Local Network Sharing / Visibility

Confirmed. Problem resolved today. See my post in Security and Backup forum. Sorry but I could not see my post number otherwise I would have provided the link.

[Edited to add the post number... Malwarebytes problem resolved ]
Last edited by BobArch2 on 15 Nov 2020, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Bob