Save 2004 Before 20H2 Release

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Save 2004 Before 20H2 Release

Post by CraigS26 »

I'm still on 1909 but have read several places about Saving 2004 as is NOW as pre-20H2 ISO's will disappear & you don't want to be stuck having to Upgrade with a (possible) New Problematic 20H2.
I used diskpart to make an Active Fat32 32 GB USB (8 G min requd) as storage but am confused about numerous suggestions to Dnload an ISO via Media Creation Tool - BUT - #8 in a TenForums How-to shows -- ISO OR USB -- as the Installation Media Choice.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/923 ... -file.html

WHAT's the difference in Choosing ISO Vs USB - AND - is it even possible you Dnload an ISO and Copy it to the USB.
WHAT should I do?

Further, I have an SSD (Win 10 there) and 1 TB (saved data) HDD.
Can I Dnload the Media Creation Tool to D: Downloads or D: Documents and Clk on its .exe from THERE and then Dnload the ISO or whatever USB choice involves to a D: 2004 Folder I created; Trying to stay OFF SSD.

Sorry for length & Thanks as always.
Win 10 Pro 22H2 | ESET EIS Prem | Mbam Prem | Diskeeper Pro '15 | Macrium Pd v8

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Save 2004 Before 20H2 Release

Post by John Gray »

The most logical thing is to download a .ISO file and save it to a folder somewhere. There's absolutely no reason to create a FAT32 partition - just download the .ISO file to one of the NTFS partitions you already have.

When/if you actually want to make use of it, then create a bootable USB drive from that .ISO file using a program such as Rufus.

Alternatively, buy a bunch of 8GB USB flash drives, and use the Media Creation Tool to create the bootable USB drive in a single operation on one of these Flash Drives.

I suspect the whole operation will be pointless anyway, since there is a fairly low chance of you needing to actually use a historic Windows 10 version. However, YMMV...
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I too am still on 1909. I've seen such 'the sky is falling' exhortations to download and save a copy of the current Win 10 ISO just before the next version is due for release every time the next version is due for release. I've never bothered and I've never wished I had. The sky has never fallen and in due course my machine has updated sequentially, meaning I get the version after the one I'm one, even if the next version is already out there / is the current version.

In summary, I'm with John:
John Gray wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 14:52
I suspect the whole operation will be pointless anyway, since there is a fairly low chance of you needing to actually use a historic Windows 10 version. However, YMMV...
Ken

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

Thanks for the Replies.
I've never had a Feature Upgrade Problem since starting at 1709 & I doubt I'd use this, too, BUT I'm just trying to learn as I see things like this discussed often and get confused in the details.
I saw a Thread on the ISO w/ Rufus and will keep that for the future just in case.
BTW, the Fat32 was on a USB I planned to put it on, not a HDD partition if that was the impression.
Thanks again.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Many of those warnings are from those who are paranoid about upgrading. You can always check the heidoc.net site and get their ISO downloader tool. It will allow you to download any of several versions.
Joe

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

Thanks. Saw heidoc.net mentioned, too, in a forum and have bookmarked it.

EDIT: 9-14: It's Dnloading now to a D:\Documents\PRE-20H2 Folder I made.
Last edited by CraigS26 on 14 Sep 2020, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you feel like you need to get a copy now just download the ISO and save it somewhere you want. You can always turn it into a bootable USB later with Rufus. It is entirely up to you.
Joe