No System Restore

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

No System Restore

Post by hlewton »

I had cause today to "try" and use System Restore and there were no system restore points to try and fix my computer. In the last month or so I have manually created at least 6 restore points and they all were gone. In checking the under the configuration of the system protection, the System Protection was turned off. I know I would never have done that. I set it up again allowing it to use up to 10% of my drive for restore points. How in the world would that get turned off and also why can't I find the restore points I manually had system protection create? I probably already know the answer to the second question but how the system protection got turned off is upsetting to say the least.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: No System Restore

Post by HansV »

Did you install a 'major' update such as Windows 10 version 2004 recently? Or did a Microsoft technician reinstall Windows for you?
That would explain why System Restore was disabled.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Not to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if restore points can be saved to a thumb drive then used from thence to do a system restore.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Not as far as I know, but hopefully others have more knowledge on this subject.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 21:24
Did you install a 'major' update such as Windows 10 version 2004 recently? Or did a Microsoft technician reinstall Windows for you?
That would explain why System Restore was disabled.
No no major updates. I think I have used Create a restore point after the MS tech failed to get version 2004 to install but I am not completely sure.
Regards,
hlewton