Win10 Shutdown versus Restart

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Win10 Shutdown versus Restart

Post by JoeP »

It may have depended on the machine but at one time restart did not reset the bus. SO, if you had a problem peripheral the interface would not be powered down and reset by a restart.
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 15:48
It may have depended on the machine but at one time restart did not reset the bus. SO, if you had a problem peripheral the interface would not be powered down and reset by a restart.
Hi Joe. I understand this.
I think all the same that if it was not a peripheral/bus problem, Restart returned me to a fresh state.
Bugs I can stand (almost!) as long as I can retreat to a known, stable platform and start again.

(later) From the Travelmate P2 user manual:
Disable Fast startup
Your computer uses Fast startup to start quickly, but also uses a small amount of power to check for signals to start. These checks will slowly drain your computer’s battery. If you prefer to reduce your computer’s power requirements and environmental impact, turn off Fast startup:

Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 21:54
You may have to enable hibernating for the 'Fast Startup' option to show up. See Fix Hibernate, Fast Startup missing / not showing in Power Options - Windows 10 (that article is from Lenovo, but it applies to Windows 10 in general)
I followed those instructions then came back and followed yours successfully.

Thanks, Hans!!

:wine:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

With a new(ish) system that has a good SSD, Fast Startup has minimal impact. I usually disable it as I've seen some problems that are difficult to diagnose when Fast Startup is enabled.
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 14:17
With a new(ish) system that has a good SSD, Fast Startup has minimal impact. I usually disable it as I've seen some problems that are difficult to diagnose when Fast Startup is enabled.
Thanks Joe.
On a trial basis i have deleted the paging file on this Toshiba (older) laptop. I can't say that I notice any difference in boot time or in run time.

A reboot is still followed by furious green-light-flashing activity on the hard drive. The time to load Thunderbird mail, Firefox browser, or Word2003 seems about the same.
Sluggish, yes, but I use the time to turn on the little mug-warmer hot plate, adjust the cushion, and look to see what weather is coming from the west ...
Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle