Windows File Explorer Not Working Correctly

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Windows File Explorer Not Working Correctly

Post by hlewton »

Not sure I am understanding all of this but from what I see in the attached, I see no reason I should be having the problems I am. It looks very similar to Jolas' screenshot.
ShellView.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I think I tried to show too much in the above screenshot. Hopefully the attached here will be easier to see.
ShellView1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Jolas's screenshot has New and Open items for .docx and .xlsx; those are missing from your list...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:19
Jolas's screenshot has New and Open items for .docx and .xlsx; those are missing from your list...
You're correct. I didn't notice that. I think I may load this on another computer to see what it shows and also get an idea how to edit it to put those commands in. Not at all sure how to do that.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

ExportEditReg.jpg
Uncheck-NoExtMode.jpg

Like I said the Edit and Open registry keys on my system are the same except that Edit context menu has it Extended Mode enabled. That means I have to press Shift - Right Click to see the Edit menu.

Exporting the Edit menu entry from the registry will give you a base to create the Open menu to import back to the registry.

How do you do this?

Here is how I would do it. On the ShellMenuView Right-click the &Edit >>Open in RegEdit or press F6.
Select Edit as shown on the first image, right-click export the registry key on your desktop, give it any name.

On your desktop right-click edit. Notepad will open assuming it is your default text editor. Find and Replace all instances of Edit with Open. Save it. Right-click >> Merge.

Check back on ShellMenuView, press F5 to refresh the filtered view of the dialog box. Take note of the red and blue arrow annotations.

See if the Open context menu is now available. There maybe a need to logout or restart to see if context menu functionality came back.

Hope this helps.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

jolas wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 05:07
ExportEditReg.jpgUncheck-NoExtMode.jpg

Like I said the Edit and Open registry keys on my system are the same except that Edit context menu has it Extended Mode enabled. That means I have to press Shift - Right Click to see the Edit menu.

Exporting the Edit menu entry from the registry will give you a base to create the Open menu to import back to the registry.

How do you do this?

Here is how I would do it. On the ShellMenuView Right-click the &Edit >>Open in RegEdit or press F6.
Select Edit as shown on the first image, right-click export the registry key on your desktop, give it any name.

On your desktop right-click edit. Notepad will open assuming it is your default text editor. Find and Replace all instances of Edit with Open. Save it. Right-click >> Merge.

Check back on ShellMenuView, press F5 to refresh the filtered view of the dialog box. Take note of the red and blue arrow annotations.

See if the Open context menu is now available. There maybe a need to logout or restart to see if context menu functionality came back.

Hope this helps.
Jolas, thank you for that. I am going to have to concentrate on what you said and get back to it but for now I have to make the following comments.

I ran this same ShellMenuView program on 3 of my other computers that are all working correctly, as they should be, with concern to the Right Click options. Since Hans pointed out that there were some "&" options not available in the screenshot I posted above, I was very careful to compare what I was seeing to each other on the other 3 computers. They were all the same and none of them had the missing options Hans pointed out above. I will attach a screenshot from one of my computers. It is probably the only one I have that has never given me any problem what-so-ever so I feel it is the most reliable to show here.

I have no idea why the missing "&" options are not showing but I do know all 3 of them work fine. Please see the attachment to see what I am talking about.
Laptop.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Uncheck-NoExtMode.jpg
This is the 2nd screenshot from my last post.
Please make sure to uncheck the "Hide Standard Menu Items" from the Options Menu.

See if the &Open will appear from the list and if the Extended Mode column is set to No.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

jolas wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 13:27
Uncheck-NoExtMode.jpg

This is the 2nd screenshot from my last post.
Please make sure to uncheck the "Hide Standard Menu Items" from the Options Menu.

See if the &Open will appear from the list and if the Extended Mode column is set to No.
That did it. It appears, at least as far as I can tell, that all my Right Click options are there. Please see attachment. So there appears to be no reason why I don't see them unless multiple files of the same type are chosen. Right clicking on only 1 file does not show those options even though, according to ShellMenuView, they are there. There does appear to be 5 "&" options set to "Yes" under the Extended Mode column even though those options show so not sure what that means or what to do, if anything. Thanks
ShellView2.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

This is the screenshot of the computer having an issue right?

If you right click a single excel file, do you at least see Edit as an option?

If yes, then as I said earlier the Edit and Open registry command parameters are exactly the same in my system. I would download the registry entry for Edit. Edit this file with notepad, replacing all instances of Edit with Open. Save the file. And right click - Merge back to the registry. This will overwrite the previous Entry. Check back shellmenuview, refresh the screen and make sure Extended Mode is set to no for the &Edit row.

See if it is fixed.

Does double clicking a single Excel file open it for editing?

In my opinion it is the easier and faster way of opening a single excel file. Maybe just leave the right-click option for multiple selection.

Hope this helps.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

jolas wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 21:44
This is the screenshot of the computer having an issue right?
Yes this is the computer that is having the issue.

jolas wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 21:44
If you right click a single excel file, do you at least see Edit as an option?

If yes, then as I said earlier the Edit and Open registry command parameters are exactly the same in my system. I would download the registry entry for Edit. Edit this file with notepad, replacing all instances of Edit with Open. Save the file. And right click - Merge back to the registry. This will overwrite the previous Entry. Check back shellmenuview, refresh the screen and make sure Extended Mode is set to no for the &Edit row.

See if it is fixed.

Does double clicking a single Excel file open it for editing?

In my opinion it is the easier and faster way of opening a single excel file. Maybe just leave the right-click option for multiple selection.

See if it is fixed.

Hope this helps.
I do not have an "Edit" option available on any of my machines when I right click a single or multiple files with the same extension (Word, Access, or Excel.) Not sure why the "Edit" option is not available but it is not. However, on 2 of my machines the "Edit" option is available when I click on a "jpeg" file. But on the machine that this post is all about, the "Edit" option is not available even on a "jpeg" file but the same is true on another machine, as well.

Yes Double clicking a single does open any file for editing. Never had a problem with that.

I do appreciate you're trying to help but I have to tell you this and I'm sure it will be hard to believe. I have a Right Click context menu item called MyFolders, which I use multiple times a day and depend heavily on. In using the shellmenuview program I did nothing but have it show what I posted in the screenshots. I did not try to change anything or do any editing of any kind. Just opened it, followed the instructions to get the program to show what I posted. Well, something made the MyFolders Right Click option disappear, which to me is a disaster. Luckily I got it back, I hope permanently, by doing a Restore form 3 days previous, which was the most recent restore point available to me. Anyway, though I really do appreciate your attempts to help, I am fearful of losing MyFolders again so I have to leave well enough alone and hope I don't lose the MyFolders program again.
Regards,
hlewton