Monthly Cumulative Update issues W10-Pro

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Monthly Cumulative Update issues W10-Pro

Post by BobArch2 »

I am having issues with Windows 10 - Pro performing updates automatically and would like any suggestions to correct what might be preventing these updates.

Background:

In May 2019 I downloaded the Media Creation tool and created the ISO file for installing 1903. The install of the new feature's build was OK. Two days later there was another cumulative update and it downloaded automatically and installed successfully (build 116).

The first monthly cumulative update after that, on June 11th, also installed automatically ... again no issues. Then I elected to delay future update, as a test, for 35 days.

July 9th was the next scheduled monthly release and it did not install automatically (as expected) since the deferral was still in place. When the 35 days ended, estimated to be the 16th or 17th of July I would have expected the automatic update to kick in. It didn't. I waited until the 26th of July and manually downloaded the KB cumulative update and it installed without any issues (build 239). I did not reset the deferral date to a new future date.

On July 30th I performed a manual check for updates and installed another cumulative update by downloading the KB (build 267).

At that stage I decided to let the system handle all future updates, with no deferral dates in place.

On August 8th, the next scheduled monthly update, only an automatic update to .NET occurred. I waited 6 days and no other cumulative update took place so I forced an update by downloading and installing the KB. (build 295).

Today, September 9th, the next monthly update should have occurred. It didn't. I will wait another few days to see what happens.

Question:

Has anyone else used the deferred date process and had any like issues? That is, the system refusing to get back on track with automatic updating after using the deferred date feature on a single occasion.

Snapshots:

Attached is a screenshot of my Update History. Items highlighted in orange are updates that occurred automatically. Items highlighted in green are forced manual updates. The second screenshot displays the Advanced Options for the Update process.
UpdateHistory.jpg
AdvancedOptions.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Monthly Cumulative Update issues W10-Pro

Post by JoeP »

Did you change your network connection to metered?
Joe

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

JoeP wrote:Did you change your network connection to metered?
Not knowingly. And it is set to off in Advanced Options.

I am currently checking Policies in the Register Settings to see if anything is out of whack.
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

I might have found the cause of my issue but need expert opinion(s) before I proceed.

Action taken so far:

I searched the Registry settings for "pause" entries which eventually led me to the Window 10 PolicyManager ... Update settings. (See snapshot 1 below). I then researched the Internet for Setting values and found an Update Policy table. I then matched the values in each of my registry entries to the items shown in the allowable policy settings. If my values were the "default" values I flagged them in green. It left a few entries that require additional research. Nothing popped out as a possible culprit.

Then I remembered that Registry Entries for like operations can occur in multiple spots. I went back into the Registry and this time started the search for ActiveHoursEnd which was the first entry in the initial finding. The new search obviously found that item and then it found a second set of entries in UX\Settings as shown in the 2nd snapshot shown below. If UX stands for UserExperience and takes priority over the policy settings, then I think the answer to my problem has been found. You can see in the UX\Settings snapshot that there are 2 entries related to deferring updates. I did research for UX Settings and was not able to find a definite answer as to whether these settings do indeed assume a priority role.

Now if someone can confirm that UX Settings do take priority, then I will reset the 2 deferral settings. If they don't then I will continue to search for a solution.

Snapshot 1
RegisteryUpdateSettings.jpg
Snapshot 2
UX.Settings.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

With a full backup completed, along with a separate backup of the Registry, I changed the UX\Settings in the Registry for the Deferred periods as noted in the previous email to values of zeroes.

Not wanting to wait out the system updates automatically kicking in, I performed a manual check for updates ... and it obeyed my commands. A mere 28 minutes later 5 updates were downloaded and applied.
NewBuild.jpg
I will now leave the Deferred Date feature alone and see what happens October 8, 2019.
Regards,
Bob