Windows 10 1809 returns today November 13

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Windows 10 1809 returns today November 13

Post by BobArch2 »

When Windows 10 1809 was released October 2, 2018, I chose to download the Installation Media and burned the ISO to a DVD. I installed from that media and did not experience any major issues. Just minor glitches that were easy to overcome. Then the airwaves were filled with news of major issues … none of which I experienced. So, I did not revert to 1803 but stayed the course with 1809.17763.1.

A week later on October 9, 2018 a Cumulative update to 1809 was released and I applied the update which resulted in a build of 1809.17763.55. Again no hitches. Other than the fact that the update decided that I was running Microsoft Access 2007 (which I wasn’t and never had on this machine) and proceeded to install SP3 for Access 2007 along with 5 security updates for Access 2007. I was unable to uninstall those updates using the Settings facility to “uninstall updates”. But I was able to uninstall Access 2007 through the Control Panel feature. The uninstall had no impact on my Office 365 apps. All was well.

Today, November 13, 2018, Microsoft released the revised October 1809 Update.

Again I downloaded the Installation Media, burned the ISO to DVD and ran the install from the media. The update took 68 minutes and all was well I went into Settings | Update to see the build number, which was 1809.17763.107. And was also presented with the information that 4 updates were Pending Install … 1 Cumulative Update, 2 associated with Adobe Flash and the remaining was the Malicious Software Removal Tool. After applying those 4 updates and restarting, the build became 1809.17763.134.

At this point, all is well and there are no issues.

YMMV

Here's an article from How-To Geek with more details about the revised release of 1809.
Regards,
Bob

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Windows 10 1809 returns today November 13

Post by John Gray »

Woody suggests that people should wait...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Good of you reporting your experiences, Bob.
Microsoft wrote:We leverage our real-time detection and response capabilities to roll out Windows in a careful and data-driven way, and this represents some of the most impactful changes we have made to improve the Windows experience.
Apart from the lingo. :hmmn:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

John Gray wrote:Woody suggests that people should wait...
He always does...
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

HansV wrote:
He always does...
And often with good reason!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

John Gray wrote:
HansV wrote:
He always does...
And often with good reason!
I have seen MANY more issues caused by malware that would have been prevented by up-to-date patches than issues caused by patches. Even though every patch has some small level of risk, I still recommend getting them installed promptly.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

StuartR wrote:I have seen MANY more issues caused by malware...
I take your point but in all the years I've surfed the web I've never yet been stung by malware nor has a Malwarebytes scan ever turned up something but I have had (rare) 'issues' with MS updates. Consequently I try and walk a line that's somewhere between being the first to install updates and Woody's ultra conservative position.

Having said that, at work I'm behind a serious firewall and the IT guys upstairs deal with keeping the bad stuff out an at home I don't do much surfing so perhaps my experience is atypical.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have had to clean up MANY computers over the years, and in every single case the infection would have been prevented by routine maintenance of patches and anti-virus software updates.
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Is this 1809 version still being rolled out? Back from vacation my lady's Lenovo pc is still on 1803. There have been significant other updates since we switched on so the update service is OK.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

These major versions are rolled out gradually; I'd simply wait until the update is installed automatically.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Hans. Agreed but since it's 1 month from the new release I sort of thought its 'all over'.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.