Win 10 Update

BobH
UraniumLounger

Win 10 Update

Post by BobH »

When running Glary Utilities disk clean-up, I've found 1.4 GB of data that will not be removed. From the filenames, I've guessed that it has something to do with Windows updates.

I ran winver and discovered that i'm running 1709 when 1803 is the current level, I think. So, i went to settings and then to security and updates and got messages saying that there is a new upgrade and it downloaded it (presumably 1803). Now it's been 'preparing to install' for the last 20 minutes or so and only achieved 59%. I'll let it continue to run, but I'd like to know if this is normal behavior. I don't know how large the download is but I do know that there is not much room left on this old laptop's disk. Is it possible that lack of disk space is preventing the update? If so, what is the solution? I haven't been through and deleted much yet.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Win 10 Update

Post by JoeP »

It is more or less normal behavior. The speed of update preparation is highly dependent on the hardware capabilities of the PC.

If there is not enough disk space the update will fail. If that happens you can use a USB drive to move files off your internal drive.
Joe

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I feel your pain, Bob. Don't know if you followeed my thread on updating from 1709 to 1803 but I'll leave it at saying it was a frustratingingly SLOW process and required many
re-attempts and I was ready to tke out the shotgun and give my machine a good taste of double 0 buckshot.
However, the one thing I can point out was that I had a very large amount of free HD space available. Just how much free space do you have? I thought there ws some mention of needing about 15 gigs but not sure of that amount.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Joe - thanks for the reassurance. I'm up to 70% installed after several hours.

VikingBob - I'm feeling your pain now that it's happened to me.

Thanks to you both.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs