Bad image report

silverback
5StarLounger

Bad image report

Post by silverback »

Oh :censored:! New computer is three weeks old next Monday and it's thrown up a serious problem.

I left the machine running and came back to find it locked up - completely unresponsive even to Ctrl/Alt/Del. Powered off and restarted, when I said it had not been shut down normally and went into some repair stuff. When it eventually booted, I had an error "Onedrive.exe - bad image. The error box then continued saying C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NETUTILS.DLL was not meant to run on Windows or was corrupt. It suggested that I should download another copy or contact my system administrator!
I found some help on the internet and ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth; this failed at 17.2% with file corrupt or unreadable - but didn't say what the file was. I was pointed to the DISM log which I cannot understand.
I also ran System File Checker - sfc /scannow. This failed at 10% with "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"

In addition, none of my Office 365 programs work now. Trying to start any of them results in "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application"

I ran a full virus check which reported no viruses found.

I simply don't know what to do now and am completely out of my depth. Can anyone provide advice on how to proceed, please?
Silverback
Last edited by silverback on 31 Aug 2018, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Bad image report

Post by StuartR »

Did the new computer come with an emergency restore disk or partition? If so then try restoring and see what happens.

This could be a hardware fault, I strongly recommend contacting the people you bought it from to see what they have to say.
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Googling that error code produced a lot of hits but this one had a number of successe stories, so check it out. It also has a UTube video how-to.

Error code fix
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Viking. Couldn't get anywhere with your suggestion as nothing would download. So, took Stuart's advice and went back to the shop. Much to my amazement, there was no argument at all - it was only 19 days old, after all, so we had a look at a replacement. The store was unable to determine whether there were any replacement PCs (!), so we got a refund. Later in the day, we found that another store had one in stock, so we went and bought it. It's an ill wind, as they say. When we got there, we found the price of the PC had gone down by £150 since we purchased 19 days ago. A win, there, apart from the fact that we have to go through the process of moving stuff from the old machine to the new. We have put some stuff that we transferred on to a USB disc, so that bit should go quite quickly. (I know - we got told off at the shop for not backing stuff up on the cloud - but we haven't got round to thinking about this 'new' facility yet. We'll get there in the end.)
Thanks to you both for your help. The lounge is just the most amazing place of people and knowledge. We are very, very grateful to all who contribute.
Silverback (and spouse) :cheers:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

silverback wrote:Viking. Couldn't get anywhere with your suggestion as nothing would download. So, took Stuart's advice and went back to the shop. Much to my amazement, there was no argument at all - it was only 19 days old, after all, so we had a look at a replacement. The store was unable to determine whether there were any replacement PCs (!), so we got a refund. Later in the day, we found that another store had one in stock, so we went and bought it. It's an ill wind, as they say. When we got there, we found the price of the PC had gone down by £150 since we purchased 19 days ago. A win, there, apart from the fact that we have to go through the process of moving stuff from the old machine to the new. We have put some stuff that we transferred on to a USB disc, so that bit should go quite quickly. (I know - we got told off at the shop for not backing stuff up on the cloud - but we haven't got round to thinking about this 'new' facility yet. We'll get there in the end.)
Thanks to you both for your help. The lounge is just the most amazing place of people and knowledge. We are very, very grateful to all who contribute.
Silverback (and spouse) :cheers:
Glad it all worked out for you both. Even got a bonus reduction in price! :cheers:
BOB

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

All's well that ends well
StuartR

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

StuartR wrote:All's well that ends well
But it isn't. The new, new PC is beginning to play up the same way now.
First indication was a message in the notifications area to 'Click here to check and repair disk' which I did, but didn't fix the problem.
Then tried to run sfc /scannow which produced the error "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."
Then tried DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth which produced the error
"Error: 87

The cleanup-image option is unknown."

chkdsk /r ran, apparently without problem as it did not produce any error report and there was nothing on the screen when the PC restarted.

Clearly there is a problem somewhere in a system file/table; is there anything I can do now apart from take it back to the shop?
Thanks
Silverback

Aaah! Following Stuart's question to my earlier posting, I have just remembered that I have got something called "recovery" which I made as soon as I got the new PC. The USB stick is called RECOVERY and has two folders called EFI and sources. EFI has two folders - Boot and Microsoft. Will this reinstall the original Windows image? And how do I use it, please?
Last edited by silverback on 13 Nov 2018, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

silverback wrote:chkdsk /r ran, apparently without problem as it did not produce any error report and there was nothing on the screen when the PC restarted.
Check the Event Log - a report should be saved there...
Leif

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Despite the low probablity, this smells like a "lightning does strike twice" situation and you've got a second machine with a hardware fault. I'd go and get my money back.

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

stuck wrote:Despite the low probablity, this smells like a "lightning does strike twice" situation and you've got a second machine with a hardware fault. I'd go and get my money back.

Ken
Or maybe this isn't a hardware problem but something embedded in your software or system backup? Hmm... Try loading just the Windows system by itself and seeing if it still misbehaves?
BOB

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Or maybe this isn't a hardware problem but something embedded in your software or system backup? Hmm... Try loading just the Windows system by itself and seeing if it still misbehaves?
Thanks to everyone who has offered help. Took the PC back to the retailer (whose name is the same as the sort of meals you get in an Indian Restaurant - (a UK reference for our non UK loungers)) where the 'support team' ran a test and declared it was a software problem, which is not covered by guarantee(!), but I could purchase a support contract after which they would 'look at the problem'. Took it home, and tried various things like Reset this PC, start from an image but everything failed. It then exhibited the 'creeping death' i.e gradually nothing would run - everything generated a memory fault error.
Decided that, if I had to pay some money, I would prefer to give it to my local computer shop owner, so I called him up and he came round, on a Saturday afternoon, and spent an hour trying to get it going. No cigar. He took it away and, eventually, loaded a new copy of Windows 10 - when everything sprung into life. Brought it back yesterday and charged me £40 - which I think is pretty darn good.
So it was software - but why? Googling brings up lots of hits from people with the same sort of errors, and the consensus is that the corruptions are the result of Windows updates. Is that a view that loungers have?
It does take a time to get everything 'back to where it was' though, doesn't it?
Thanks again for all Loungers' help.
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Wow, that's quite an adventure!

For the record, I haven't experienced any problems with Windows 10 updates, neither on my desktop, nor on my laptop. :crossfingers:
Best wishes,
Hans