Moving my Documents folder from C drive to E Data drive

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Moving my Documents folder from C drive to E Data drive

Post by Argus »

jmt356 wrote:There was, however, one issue with moving the Documents folder. After moving it, I launched File Explorer by pressing Windows key + 4. I then received an error stating that the shortcut no longer existed, since the location of the target folder had been moved from the C drive.
I don't know how you moved the Documents folder (or if you also moved something else), or what the status bar shortcut pointed at (i.e. it could have been created/modified by the user), but as far as I know the default File Explorer shortcut on the status bar in Windows 10 is located in:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

and it is the same as using Winkey+E. The default location, when Explorer is started (in Windows 10), is Quick access.

Moving the Documents folder, and its content, with the built-in method shouldn't break a standard shortcut to the File Explorer located in the user's profile.

The easiest way to create a shortcut to the File Explorer (when there is no such shortcut on the Task bar), if not something is terribly broken, should probably be to press Winkey+E, and when the File Explorer is running, to simply right-click on the icon in the Task bar and select Pin to Task bar.

(It is also possible to create a shortcut on the Desktop (via the right-click menu), and drill down to the Windows folder (via browse for target), and then select Explorer.exe. If you can't drag such as a shortcut to the Taskbar it could be because you already have one shortcut.)
(For a "custom-made" shortcut I agree with Hans.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I tried entering each of the following as the Target but none of them worked in opening up the Target:

explorer.exe "path to E:\\Favorites Folder"
explorer.exe "E:\[User Name]\Favorites Folder"
explorer.exe E:\[User Name]\Favorites Folder
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Regards,

JMT

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Just curious; how did you end up with what looks like a user profile (part of it, or a folder structure that mimics it) on a volume/drive called E; have you moved folders for several accounts?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I manually created a folder called User Name in my E partition.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

DaveA wrote:Yes, it can, but what Argus says above have a lot of truth to it.
It is the after a fact that the change can make issues.
Some programs will still want to use the "User" folder for their files.
Some Windows up dates have been know to put thing back where they should be.

With Windows 8.1 see https://www.zdnet.com/article/dont-move ... her-drive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveA: Can you please clarify what you mean by “Some programs will still want to use the "User" folder for their files.” What is a “User” folder? Do you mean the folder in C:\Users\\Documents? If so, wouldn’t putting a shortcut icon in the “User” folder to the disk partition to which Documents have been moved solve the issue?
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Yes, I do mean the "Users" folder on the C drive.

No, a short cut will not help, and the built in API's of some programs look for the "Users\[account name]\" folder.
How does one make a program use a shortcut?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living