Alternative for MSCONFIG

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Alternative for MSCONFIG

Post by hlewton »

I seem to remember an alternative program to use instead of msconfig. When I do a search I find one called AUTORUNS but when I go to download it Windows 10 is not listed as a supported platform. Any suggestions what program I can use instead of msconfig? The one I remember from a while back seemed to do a lot more than just list the programs that start automatically on bootup but I can't remember its name. I can't seem to find anything that looks familiar except the one I mentioned, AUTORUNS.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Alternative for MSCONFIG

Post by viking33 »

hlewton wrote:I seem to remember an alternative program to use instead of msconfig. When I do a search I find one called AUTORUNS but when I go to download it Windows 10 is not listed as a supported platform. Any suggestions what program I can use instead of msconfig? The one I remember from a while back seemed to do a lot more than just list the programs that start automatically on bootup but I can't remember its name. I can't seem to find anything that looks familiar except the one I mentioned, AUTORUNS.

Thanks
Autoruns will run on Win 10 and earlier.
Autoruns.JPG
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

One alternative mentioned in the Lounge in the past is a utility called WhatInStartup. I have not used it myself so maybe other loungers who have can offer their thoughts. Autoruns, in my opinion, should only be used by advanced users; it is very unforgiving.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

In Windows 10, the Task Manager has a Startup tab (after you click the More Details link at the bottom). However, AutoRuns lists many more items than the Task Manager, because it scours all the possible places in the registry.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you all for the replies. Once I searched for "autoruns.zip" and found it I no longer saw where it wasn't compatible with Win 10.
PaulB wrote:One alternative mentioned in the Lounge in the past is a utility called WhatInStartup.
That may well be the one I am remembering.

Thanks again to all of you.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The current version of AutoRuns (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... s/autoruns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is definitely compatible with Windows 10; I use it frequently.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:The current version of AutoRuns (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... s/autoruns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is definitely compatible with Windows 10; I use it frequently.
Hans I am going to post a screen shot of what I downloaded and unzipped. I have Win 10 64 Bit OS so I assume I should use one of the 64 Bit Autoruns files but not sure which. Can you tell me which one I should use or does it even matter? Also I am assuming there is no installation just open 1 of the *.exe files but, again which one?
Autoruns.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

You will want to use the "Autoruns64.exe" for the graphical interface. Autorunsc64.exe is the command line version.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

PaulB wrote:You will want to use the "Autoruns64.exe" for the graphical interface. Autorunsc64.exe is the command line version.
Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton