Devices and Printers does not show up in Start menu searches

jmt356
SilverLounger

Devices and Printers does not show up in Start menu searches

Post by jmt356 »

When I used type "Printers" in the Start menu, Devices and Printers within the Control Panel would appear. A few months ago, perhaps following one of the Windows 10 updates, it no longer showed up in the Start menu, regardless of what I type in the search box ("Devices," "Printers" or "Devices and Printers"). How can I put it back?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Devices and Printers does not show up in Start menu sear

Post by HansV »

I get "Printers and scanners". It's not a control panel but part of Settings:
S2089.png
S2090.png
I can still get to the Devices and Printers control panel by typing Control and selecting Control Panel, then View Devices and Printers:
S2091.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have added the Control Panel icon to the task bar and can access the Printers and Devices with 2 clicks.

See https://www.groovypost.com/howto/pin-co ... s-taskbar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Just be aware that Microsoft has stated the intention to move everything -- eventually -- from the Control Panel to the Settings pages. At some point, probably later this year, there won't be any Control Panel in Windows 10.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

What I am trying to get to is Devices and Printers in the Control Panel. Historically, I was able to get thereby typing Devices and Printers in the Windows Start menu. Now, I must access it by first launching the Control Panel.

The alternate is to launch Printers & scanners in Settings and then type Control Panel and access Devices and Printers, but that method introduces an unnecessary extra step.

I assume there is no way to get Devices and Printers back into the Start menu.
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Two shorter methods. Just type "control panel" in the start menu if you need to start the control panel. No need to open the settings app first. Second, pin control panel to the task bar. Access "devices and printers". It will end up in your MRU (most recent used) list which you access by right clicking the pinned control panel icon.
Joe