Start Menu Reset

sobershea
2StarLounger

Start Menu Reset

Post by sobershea »

Is there a way to reset the Start Menu to the default? The PC I'm using came with Win10 and it is current on all updates. I don't want to reset Windows, just get the default Start Menu Back. I have Googled this topic and some suggest creating a new user and then copying that user's C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database. I did create a new user (admin) but the specified path doesn't exist. I'm wondering if I can delete TileDataLayer\Database and if Windows would then go back to the default?

TIA
Sherry
Sherry

HansV
Administrator

Re: Start Menu Reset

Post by HansV »

I wouldn't delete that folder. You could try renaming it Database.old and reboot.
Best wishes,
Hans

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

I tried copying the above mentioned files from a machine that has a default Start Menu. I also tried naming the original file as "old" as suggested. I even moved the files to another location and rebooted. Nothing changes the Menu to default. It's not important enough to spend more time on it. I was just in a tweaking mood. :hairout:

Thank you for the suggestion, Hans.
Sherry

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See if How to Reset Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Start Menu and Clear All Tiles helps.

NOTE: back up your system before attempting major changes.
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

sobershea,
What is the issue that you feel the need to get your Start menu reset?

As far as I know the only default is when one makes a new user, then one will get the start menus of the Default User, which is NOT an real account just a template.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

JoeP, that registry tip works just fine. It's funny that didn't pop when I googled the topic.

DaveA, no big issue, Just wanted to get it back to default rather than manually deleting icons. Just a rare moment of tweaking. :grin:

Thank you all.
Sherry O
Sherry