Control Panel App Cannot Be Found

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Control Panel App Cannot Be Found

Post by hlewton »

All my machines are running the latest Win 10 updates and Office 2016 32 Bit version. On one of them, apparently Office 2010 64 bit was installed so when updating to Office 365 2016 32 bit version of Office the 2010 version had to first be uninstalled then the 2016 32 bit version installed. Luckily somehow the installation found and used my Outlook profiles and contacts from the 2010 version and through Outlook itself I was able to check and make sure the address book was alphabetizing Last, First as I want it to. Through the Control Panel the Mail app, though there, when clicking on it a dialog box pops up saying it cannot be found. I don’t need it right now but if I ever wanted to add another profile I think I would need it to work. The fellow who works on my computers even reinstalled Office 365 – 2016 and still the app cannot be found. I think we had a clean uninstall of Office 2010 because I ran Revo Uninstaller and found nothing about Office 2010. On the machine that works fine the Mail App says
Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016) (32-bit )
and on the one that does not work it says,
Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016)
Any ideas why this app is not there and how to fix it?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Control Panel App Cannot Be Found

Post by HansV »

Try this:
- Close all Office applications.
- Click the Start button.
- Type Control Panel and press Enter.
- Click Programs.
- Click Programs and Features.
- Right-click Microsoft Office 365.
- Select Change from the context menu.
- Select 'Online Repair', then click Repair.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

My understanding that the "Mail App" and "Outlook" ore two different programs.
I have Office 365 installed on my Windows 10 machine, the "Mail App" found in the Start listing wants me to add accounts when I open it.
By scrolling down the listing to Outlook 2016 in this same listing then it open Outlook.

Yes, in the Control Pane there is an "Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016) (32-bit)" icon.
If I click it, I get what is shown in the attachment.
And clicking of the different areas it is wanting me to add the Outlook entries to the "Mail App".

I do NOT use this "Mail App" and do not intend to either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Mine is the same way but I have used the "Mail" app to add profiles. Not sure, if needed, if profiles can be added in Outlook itself.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can create accounts and data files from within Outlook itself, but you need the Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016) (32-bit ) control panel item to create a new profile.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:You can create accounts and data files from within Outlook itself, but you need the Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016) (32-bit ) control panel item to create a new profile.
I was afraid of that. Just want to say here that the machine that was giving me fits before and you suggested I somehow get the 32 bit version of Office on it crashed. It was rebuilt and now is running the 32 bit version of Outlook and is also the one that is filing the contacts strangely. The other machine that does not have the (Microsoft Outlook 2016) (32-bit ) working on it had Office 2010 and must have been 64 bit even though neither my computer builder nor I knew it. When he downloaded the Office 2016 (Office 365) 32 bit version and tried to install it that is when we got a message saying we had to uninstall the 64 bit version of Office 2010 first. We did that and then proceeded to install Office 2016 32 bit version and according to the "About" it did install the 32 bit version. However, somehow it messed up that (Microsoft Outlook 2016) (32-bit ) app. We even ran another install of it with no luck repairing that app. Is there a way to repair it that you know of?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps it's best to start from scratch: reset Windows to its original state, then install the software you need...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Perhaps it's best to start from scratch: reset Windows to its original state, then install the software you need...
Not sure how to reset Windows to its original state and would be afraid to even try that without the other fellow here with me. I did find that many others are having the same problem but so far none of the suggestions have worked for me. I may call Microsoft in a few days to see if they have an answer because one of the remedies was to install Office 64 bit version. Not sure I want those problems again either.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

To reset Windows:

Make a backup.
Click the Start button.
Type the word reset.
'Reset this PC' should be the first search result. Select it.
Under 'Reset this PC', click 'Get Started'.
I'd select the first option: 'Keep my files'. That way you won't have to restore all your documents.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Let me ask this, if I had to change my email password to reach my ISP WEB mail server can I do that from inside Outlook so that computer could continue to send and receive emai?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, you can do that from within Outlook: it is a setting of your e-mail account, not of your profile.
Select File > Account Settings > Account Settings in Outlook.
Select the relevant e-mail account.
Click Change...
You can specify the password in the Change Account dialog.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks I was thinking it was possible.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Check to make sure that Outlook 2016 is the default mail client.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:Check to make sure that Outlook 2016 is the default mail client.
Thank you. It wasn't but it is now and still that Mail app doesn't work. With so many having this problem I hope Microsoft has a solution other than resetting my computer or changing to Office 64 bit version.

There were KB fixes I found and tried to install the one for the 32 bit version first and it said I had no products for it to fix on my machine, well obviously I do. Since it didn't find the 32 bit version I then tried running the 64 bit fix and got the same error message I mentioned. So since there are Microsoft KB fixes they sure are aware of the problem.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK just got off the phone with second level support from Microsoft. She wanted to run a Windows repair but since everything else works fine I sure did not want all the work that would be necessary when the repair was completed and she agreed. So I questioned her if there was another way to add an Outlook profile rather than using the Mail app in the control panel. Turns out there is and it is very easy to get to. Within Outlook you click on the File tab, Account Settings, and Manage Profiles. It brings up the same dialog box Dave shows above, which is the one I am used to when clicking on the control panel's Mail app. So if ever the need arises for me to add another profile, before the next major Office 365 update, I have a means to do it.

Hopefully this will help others since it seems to be a fairly common problem on the WEB from what I can see.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Well, I would quick using the "Mail App" and just use the icon to open Outlook, and manage my mail from there like I have been since Outlook came on board in the late 1990's.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living