Problem with downloading software

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Problem with downloading software

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I seem to be having some trouble downloading software. I keep getting a message “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device” with the only option of NO. I am signed in as the administrator. I have tried various software programs and still get the same message. This is a newer computer that I believe was upgraded to Windows 10. Any thoughts what could cause this? Also noted I had no problem with down loading new software a few weeks ago.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Problem with downloading software

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I followed the link as described, and during the cmd commands it displayed successful for each type-in command. But when i went to restart as administrator it needed a password. I am the administrator so I am confused as to whats going on.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps you should try again, and make sure that you follow the instructions to the letter.
If that doesn't work, I hope that someone else can help you...
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I just tried it again and now I get a when entering command I get this message System error 5 occurred
Access is denied

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This is out of my league, sorry.
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

UPDATE: There is something else I have noticed. When restarting my computer it NOW gives me 2 username options, before there was only one selection. But now there seems to be 2. The Administrator (with the administrator name being my computer name HomInspect/Administrator, at which is my business name) and Owner. When I try to sign-in as administrator using various passwords I use, for the first 4 or 5 tries its says incorrect password, and then on the 5th or 6th try it then says Welcome like the password was accepted, but then after a few moments it returns to enter password. I can sign-in as Owner using password but not as administrator.
20180120_120018.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ABabeNChrist on 21 Jan 2018, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What if you leave the password blank?
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

It says incorrect password

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The steps you took should have removed the password from the Administrator account, so something's definitely wrong... :sad:
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I also noticed that i can not move any documents, workbook or programs separately without administrator permission (which I seem to no longer have access too), But if I drop then into a folder I can move them around, this is STRANGE. I'm preparing a back up just in case I have to reformat computer.

Also I was wondering I still can sign in as OWNER using a password but have lost administrator control. Any thoughts as to what might happen if i remove the password to the accessible username. Would OWNER be lost at next startup? I was going to try but was fearful I may not be able to get access

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Are your files in the Owner folder or the Administrator folder when you are using Windows file manager (Windows Explorer)?
They will be listed under "User"
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

It only displays OWNER. I am unable to open/sign in the administration.
Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Is going to a restore point an option?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I use to have the option to either use recovery or backup and restore (Windows 7) but was afraid to lose my current setup, but now I think that ship has sailed. It hasn’t gotten any worse at this point. It seems that when I followed the original instruction to clear the password for the administrator is when I seemed to lose all control as an administrator. I still have the password for the OWNER that works and I was thinking to clear that password and reboot and see what happens, but I just haven’t gotten the nerve to try in fear of losing all control. I can still use the existing programs I previously installed and make changes and save, but cannot install anything new without administrator sign-in.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Is this "Owner" account a member of the Administrator Group?

One should NEVER be using the built in Administrator account, as it is your last resort to get access to one system.
It should also NOT be displayed on the login page.

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

DaveA wrote:Is this "Owner" account a member of the Administrator Group?
I don't believe so. The computer name and administrator is still my company name that i gave when i first set up computer.
DaveA wrote:One should NEVER be using the built in Administrator account, as it is your last resort to get access to one system.
It should also NOT be displayed on the login page.
It use to show only one name (OWNER) to sign in using a password, but after I followed the directions above it now displays 2 OWNER and ADMINISTRATOR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Well, the instructions were to display the Administrator account on the login page, so that is why you are now seeing it.
You should also see the Owner icon, let us know if you see it or not?

The built in Administrator account is a much higher level of an account than the one that is a member of the Admin Group. And yes there are many actions that REQUIRE this higher level permission.

Go to Control Panel, User Accounts, Manage Accounts. There you should see ALL accounts and their types. Make a screen shot of the pane and post it here.

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

DaveA wrote:Go to Control Panel, User Accounts, Manage Accounts. There you should see ALL accounts and their types. Make a screen shot of the pane and post it here.
I was only able to go to User Accounts. Here is a screen shot. Also any other option pops up the administrator (HOMINSPECT/Administration) permission needed.
Untitled.jpg

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Click on the "Manage another account"