Remove bootmgr from old dual boot environment

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Remove bootmgr from old dual boot environment

Post by BobArch2 »

Back in the day when I was running Win8.1 I enrolled in the Win10 Insider Preview Program (2014?) and setup a dual boot environment. When Win10 was formerly introduced I exited the Insider Preview program and removed the dual boot environment.

Flash forward to November 2017 when I elected to replace my 2 internal 1TB Western Digital work drives (not system) with 2x2TB units. The first of the 1TB drives had 4 partitions - D:, E:, F: and G:. I decided to combine all 4 partitions into one and used EaseUS Partition Master to combine the partitions. All went well.

I backed up the 1TB drive with ShadowProtect and physically replaced the 1TB drive with the new 2TB drive. After formatting the 2TB drive I used ShadowProtect to restore the 1TB's backup file. All went well, as expected.

I then proceeded to clean out unwanted folders and data files from the new 2TB drive. In the root folder of the new drive there were several datasets pertaining to the old boot process. Rather than deleting them I created a new folder called Work and moved all the unwanted files to the Work folder. I just wanted to keep them for a couple of weeks just to make sure that problems would not occur. Everything has been fine for the last couple of weeks so I decide to delete the Work folder.

That's when trying to delete one of the data files - bootmgr raised its ugly head. The function refused to delete bootmgr even although I was logged in as Administrator. I tried the CMD process to clear the hidden and system file attributes. Would not work. Then used the Shift-Restart method to get into Safe Mode. After the log in (which made the system drive "X:"), I went to drive C: a.k.a. D:, went to the Work folder and performed the Dir command. As expected, nothing showed. Then tried changing the attributes of the bootmgr file - Attrib -h -s bootmgr. Which worked and I could see the file with the Dir command. Then rebooted and tried deleting, still no go.

Long story to ask if there are any suggestions I might try to get rid of this unwanted file?
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Re: Remove bootmgr from old dual boot environment

Post by BobArch2 »

Problem solved! After all of the above I noticed that bootmgr still had the Read Only attribute set to on. Went back into Safe Mode using the Shift-Restart method, cleared the Read Only attribute and deleted the file while still in Safe Mode. File was deleted.

All is well with the world! :thumbup:
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Re: Remove bootmgr from old dual boot environment

Post by HansV »

Thanks for the update.
Best wishes,
Hans