Printing Windows 10 Creator's Folder's contents.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Printing Windows 10 Creator's Folder's contents.

Post by hlewton »

“in Windows (or File) Explorer, hold down the SHIFT key as you right-click the folder. Select Open command window here. This opens the DOS-like command window. Type dir > printit.txt , then press ENTER.”
Right-click on the taskbar and select "Properties. Go to the Navigation tab and uncheck the box labeled "Replace Command Prompt with Windows PowerShell in the menu when I right-click the lower-left corner or press Windows-X." When you go back to the Win+X menu, you should see your familiar Command Prompt option return.

In trying to print the files inside a folder in Win 10 I found the instructions above but in trying to open the DOS-like command I got only an “open PowerShell windows here” and the command “dir > printit.txt” did nothing.

In the second quote I somehow changed that a while ago and do see the command prompt when checking the Win+X menu but I don’t remember how I did it and now right clicking the taskbar does not bring up any “properties” option.

So how do I get the “Open command window here” option in Windows 10 since I am not seeing it now? Trying to follow the above instructions does not work for me and I found no specific instructions dealing with just Windows 10 Creator’s version.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Printing Windows 10 Creator's Folder's contents.

Post by HansV »

Microsoft replaced the "Open command window here" option with "Open PowerShell window here" in the Creators Update. It's possible to restore the original command, but it's a lot of work (you only have to do it once though). If you're interested, see How to return the 'Open command window here' option to Windows 10's context menu.

You can easily start a command prompt window from the Start menu, though: Start > Windows System > Command Prompt.
You can then either use

dir "C:\MyFiles" > "C:\MyFiles\PrintIt.txt"

or use the CD command to navigate to the folder, and then use dir without specifying the path:

cd "C:\MyFiles"
dir > "PrintIt.txt"

(I added quotes. Strictly speaking, you only need them if the path contains spaces)
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

This seems to be a good time to remind the lounge about Karen's directory printer. Just sayin'
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does it still work in Windows 10?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I drilled down in Windows Explorer to find the folder I want to print a list of files in but apparently I have forgotten too much about the DOS command to get the CMD prompt to change to that directory to
This PC > Local Disk (c:) > Users > Name > Documents > Mail Merges

I used this but it didn’t work; “CD\c:\users\name\documents\mail merges” I tried it both with and without the quotation marks. I tried these commands from both the "Windows\system32 folder the CMD prompt opens to by default and from the C:\ folder. What am I doing wrong and how do I get it to change to the Mail Merges folder?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Use:

CD "C:\Users\Name\Documents\Mail Merges"
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

jonwallace wrote:This seems to be a good time to remind the lounge about Karen's directory printer. Just sayin'
Yes, it works as it always did.
I just down loaded and installed, but had to forcer through the "SmartScreen" to get it saved. There were a couple errors on install but, it seems to be working.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Use:

CD "C:\Users\Name\Documents\Mail Merges"
That worked. Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

DaveA wrote:
jonwallace wrote:This seems to be a good time to remind the lounge about Karen's directory printer. Just sayin'
Yes, it works as it always did.
I just down loaded and installed, but had to forcer through the "SmartScreen" to get it saved. There were a couple errors on install but, it seems to be working.
I still had it installed from pre-win 10 days, and yes it still worked.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, Dave and John, for the confirmation.
Best wishes,
Hans