explorer spontaneously closes

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

explorer spontaneously closes

Post by stuck »

In XP & Win 7 once I opened Explorer it would stay open, all day usually. Not so in Win 10, it will spontaneously close, seemingly at random - as in as yet I can't say it closes after a certain amount of inactivity or after any other combination of things I might be doing.

Google searches imply I'm not alone but as yet I've not found anything that has stopped this irritating behaviour on my machine. Having said that several hits talked about mapped network drives and the network connection in my office is not the best, it is a 'known issue' that it is slow.

Anybody here got any wisdom?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: explorer spontaneously closes

Post by HansV »

You'll probably have to consult the network admin for this. The problem appears to occur in Windows 8/Windows Server 2012 and later versions if a drive mapping is set in a GPO (group policy) with the Replace option. The solution is to change this to Update.

See fopr example Windows 8.1 File Explorer unexpectedly closes when on a network drive.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:...The problem appears to occur in Windows 8/Windows Server 2012 and later versions if a drive mapping is set in a GPO (group policy) with the Replace option. The solution is to change this to Update...
Thanks, that's was my best guess based on my Googling but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Now all I've got to do is get IT to answer the phone. I think they see it's me calling and :flee: because I'm one of those annoying types that knows just enough about IT to be seriously dangerous. :grin:

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

It seems the fix was to change the GPO to 'Update' as our IT people did make that change and Explorer no longer shuts down spontaneously.

Another small step forward in the brave new world of Win 10.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Glad you were able to get the IT people to make the change.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

stuck wrote:Now all I've got to do is get IT to answer the phone. I think they see it's me calling and :flee: because I'm one of those annoying types that knows just enough about IT to be seriously dangerous. :grin:
What you need is a phone proxy, so that it appears that you are calling from a different and random extension! :smile:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...