taskbar shortcut spawning a new taskbar item

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

taskbar shortcut spawning a new taskbar item

Post by stuck »

In Win 7, I have a shortcut to our root network folder pinned to the Taskbar. A double click on that opens a window to the relevant folder and the icon on the Taskbar shows as active.

In Win 10, I have a shortcut to our root network folder pinned to the Taskbar. A double click on that opens a window to the relevant folder BUT the icon on the Taskbar does NOT have a blue bar under it (to show it's active), instead a second Explorer icon appears on the Taskbar. That means years of habit of clicking on the pinned icon to bring Explorer to the front has to be unlearnt, since clicking on the pinned Explorer icon brings up another Explorer window and before you know it you have lots of Explorer windows. To do what you actually want you have to pick out and click on the Explorer icon that has the blue bar on it, which won't always be in the same location on the Taskbar.

Can this Win 10 behaviour be changed back to how my years of experience expect it to behave? Or do I have be an old dog learning a new trick?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: taskbar shortcut spawning a new taskbar item

Post by HansV »

Apparently this happens when you pin a shortcut instead of a program to the taskbar - see for example Fix duplicate icon issues on the Windows taskbar.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Thanks, I'll look into this when I'm back at work tomorrow but my first reaction is that I don't want to pin the program Explorer to the Taskbar, at least not unless I can make it default to displaying our main network folder, which is exactly what the shortcut in Win 7 does so simply.

Ho hum, more 'progress' I suppose.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

The best solution I've come up with for this 'feature' is to NOT pin anything to the Taskbar but instead put the shortcut into the Quick Launch Toolbar. The difference in behaviour is subtle but it's already helped one user to regain control of the number of Explorer windows they open.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for the update.
Best wishes,
Hans