Customizing File Explorer Tree View in Windows 10

jmt356
SilverLounger

Customizing File Explorer Tree View in Windows 10

Post by jmt356 »

In Windows 7, I had control over which items appeared in the File Explorer tree view on the left hand side. In Windows 10, in contrast, the following items are pre-programmed to show up as the level 1 items in the tree view:
- Quick access
- OneDrive
- This PC
- Local Disk
- Network

Windows has placed the shortcut items that I previously had in Windows 7 as sub-items under Quick Access in Windows 10. Is it possible to get rid of the level 1 items in File Explorer (Quick Access, OneDrive, This PC, etc.) and move all of my level 2 items up to level 1? Moreover, is it possible to stop File Explorer from automatically placing items under File Explorer / Quick Access?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Customizing File Explorer Tree View in Windows 10

Post by HansV »

In File Explorer, select View > Options.
Under Privacy, clear the check boxes "Show recently used files in Quick access" and "Show recently used folders in Quick access", then click OK.
You can also click Clear.
This will get rid of the files and folders added under Quick Access.
You can remove "pre-programmed" items by right-clicking them and selecting "Unpin from Quick cccess" from the context menu.

If you don't want File Explorer to select Quick Access when you start it, select "This PC" from the "Open File Explorer to" dropdown:
S1823.png
I don't think you can move arbitrary items a level up from under "Quick access".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans