Cannnot connect to wireless signal

jmt356
SilverLounger

Cannnot connect to wireless signal

Post by jmt356 »

I have a mobile router that projects a Wifi signal. MyiPhone picks up the signal but my laptop, which runs Windows 10, does not, even though the router is right next to my laptop. My laptop picks up other signals. Why doesn’t my laptop pick up the signal?

If I turn on my iPhone’s Personal Hotspot while it is connected via Wifi to the router and I then connect my laptop to my iPhone’s Hotspot, will my laptop be using the iPhone’s data plan or will it be using the Internet that is being provided by the mobile router?
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Cannnot connect to wireless signal

Post by Rudi »

Here is a comprehensive trouble shooter you can work through to resolve the connection issue:

-- Fix network connection issues in Windows 10
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I had to go searching for your second question and came across a rather old forum thread that discusses this.

See here.

According to the link your laptop will be drawing from your data plan, however, it mentions that a jailbreak'ed iphone with cydia can run apps to control which connection to use. Please note that things may have changed?? with updated phones/technology.

It might be best to wait for others to verify this.
Regards,
Rudi

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

1. We were able to get my laptop to connect to the Wifi mobile router by changing the channel on the router. Apparently, the channel that was previously being used was for European devices; my laptop was sold in the US.

2. Whenever I turn on the Hotspot on my iPhone, it disconnects from the Wifi and begins drawing on data.
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Thanks for the feedback.

Strange behaviour for #1?
I knew that areas were channels specific, but not that channels were area specific?

Glad you came right though!
Regards,
Rudi