Issues following upgrade to Windows 10

jmt356
SilverLounger

Issues following upgrade to Windows 10

Post by jmt356 »

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8. The upgrade worked smoothly, but I am now experiencing the following issues:

1. The f2 and f3 buttons no longer dimmed and brightened the screen, respectively.
2. The volume became more muted. Even when I have the volume turned up all the way, sounds are not playing as loudly as they were with Windows 8. Perhaps a driver was not installed correctly.
3. I cannot get all of my folders to display in list view in Windows Explorer. When I go to View | Options | Change folder and search options and click the View tab, “the Apply to Folders” button is grayed out.
4. Turn off automatic updates / restarts. I understand Windows 10 comes with automatic update downloads and installations by default. I have noted twice so far that my computer automatically restarted. This is a major inconvenience as it forces the shutdown of many programs with work that may not have been saved.

I would be grateful for proposed solutions to these issues, especially issue 1, which is a major inconvenience.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Issues following upgrade to Windows 10

Post by HansV »

1) Are you sure you didn't turn on F-lock?
2) Have you checked for a new sound driver?
3) No idea.
4) You can specify restart behavior in Start > Settings > Update and Security > Change active hours.
S1798.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

1. F-lock would impact all of my function keys, wouldn't it? My volume and and volume down function keys still work, so I don't believe the issue is with f-lock. Also, nothing happens when I go to Windows Mobility Center and attempt to change the display brightness.
2. No. Do I need new drivers when upgrading to a new OS? Shouldn't Windows 10 search for an update these on its own? If the issue is with the driver, perhaps I need to find an updated driver for my screen (item 1) as well?
4. I believe changing the Active Hours only changes the times that the computer can be restarted without my knowledge or permission, not the fact that it can be restarted without my knowledge or permission. The difference is that with active hours turned on, the computer might restart in the middle of the night, but I still might lose unsaved work.

One more issue:
5. Pressing alt + Tab now causes all the titles to be centered. In Windows 8, they were left aligned. Can this be configured?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

1/2.You might look on the website of the manufacturer of your laptop if they have updated drivers for Windows 10.
4. Perhaps How to stop Windows 10 from performing automatic restarts after installing updates will help.
5. I don't think the way active apps are displayed using Alt+Tab can be changed.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

4. If you can possibly avoid leaving anything unsaved when you leave the computer for the night, do so. Especially do not leave Word running with a document open, even one that has been saved.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I tried to go on HP.com to download an updated driver for my display. When I go to my device's page at https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... el/5360368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, only Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 are listed. Windows 10 is not listed.

HP states as follows: "HP does not provide Windows 10 drivers on HP.com for HP computers sold prior to August 2013. Microsoft has made most of the component drivers for these products available via Device Manager once the product is running Windows 10 with an active Internet connection."

Device Manager states that I already have the most updated version of my driver for the display adapter.

I just updated the driver for my AMD High Definition Audio Device. The volume does seem to go a bit louder than before. I also tried to update the driver for High Definition Audio Device, but Windows indicated, "The best drivers for your device are already installed."
Last edited by jmt356 on 15 Aug 2017, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I think you've done the best you can in the situation.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Here is a summary of where things stand:

1. Screen dimming / brightening
I tried to go on HP.com to download an updated driver for my display. When I go to my device's page at https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... el/5360368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, only Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 are listed. Windows 10 is not listed.

HP states as follows: "HP does not provide Windows 10 drivers on HP.com for HP computers sold prior to August 2013. Microsoft has made most of the component drivers for these products available via Device Manager once the product is running Windows 10 with an active Internet connection."

Device Manager states that I already have the most updated version of my driver for the display adapter.

2. Low volume
I updated the driver for my AMD High Definition Audio Device. The volume does seem to go a bit louder than before. I also tried to update the driver for High Definition Audio Device, but Windows indicated, "The best drivers for your device are already installed."

3. Inability to get my folders to display in list view
I have not yet found a solution to this. Perhaps if I start a thread dedicated to this topic I will get better suggestions.

4. Turn off automatic updates / restarts.
Windows has not yet forced a restart in the last couple of days. I will look more into this if it does.

5. The icons of active applications are all centered when pressing alt + tab.
It does not appear that this can be changed.

6. Google Chrome and Internet Explorer each use up an enormous amount of resources (about 25-50% of CPU power) on Windows 10. This was not the case in Windows 8.
This is a new issue I have noted. I would be grateful for suggestions.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

3. You can specify the way items are displayed in File Explorer in the View tab of the ribbon in File Explorer. List is one of the options:
S1800.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

6. Internet Explorer doesn't use much CPU power on my Windows 10 PC:
S1799.png
I also checked on my laptop, which has a less powerful CPU. IE's CPU usage with the same set of tabs open was between 0.5% and 1.5%.

So it doesn't appear to be an intrinsic problem with IE on Windows 10.
Best wishes,
Hans