Creators Update successfully installed

HansV
Administrator

Creators Update successfully installed

Post by HansV »

I decided to accept Microsoft's offer to install the Creators Update (Windows 10 version 1703) early. It went without a hitch. It took only 42 minutes, the first 18 of which I could continue working.
As far as I can tell, all my software is still present and functional, as are my documents (I did make a backup first, of course).
S1596.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Re: Creators Update successfully installed

Post by BobArch2 »

Hans, I can echo your success. In my case the update took a little longer... 43 minutes from beginning to end. :grin:

I tested some of my major applications and they all seem to be OK. One of my major concerns was MS Money, a 10 year old discontinued product. It is working fine!

My backup app, StorageCraft's ShadowProtect (SPX) needed to be activated before it would run. I posted a support request to ensure that the need to reactivate did not use up one of my available licences.

It seems that Windows Defender has taken on some additional responsibilities. Even although I run ESET's Smart Security, Defender was loaded and pointed out that one or more of my hardware devices needed updating. Checking the Device Manager indicated that a USB device needed attention. The device was my Dymo Label printer which was turned off. Turning on the label printer resolved that issue! :grin:

The update also turned off the System Restore Point feature. I can see where old restore points would have been removed but would not have expected the feature to be turned off. I turned SRP back on for the system drive and created a new SRP.

Other than that, all is well.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Congratulations!

If I remember correctly, each previous major update disabled System Restore too.
Similarly, my scheduled scan with Windows Defender had been removed, just like on previous occasions.

The update didn't hijack my file associations this time, although I had to reconfirm a few of them. Progress! :thumbup:
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Oh, and a minor annoyance: Internet Explorer 11 now sports a button to start Edge to the right of the "New Tab" button. Since the New Tab button is rather narrow, it's easy to click the Edge button instead.
Fortunately, it's easy to hide it:
- Press the Windows button or click Start.
- Type regedit and press Enter.
- Navigate (*) to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
- Create a new DWORD value named HideNewEdgeButton and set its value to 1.
- If Internet Explorer was active, close and restart it. Voilà (no need to restart Windows)

(*) RegEdit now has an address bar. Nice!
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

HansV wrote:(*) RegEdit now has an address bar. Nice!
Yes, I noticed that in the Insiders release (build 15055). It's much appreciated!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The address bar makes it easy to navigate to a registry key mentioned in a forum post or internet article: copy/paste, then press Enter. Very convenient!
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I don't have Win 10, but that does sound like a nice (and long overdue) addition.
TX for the share!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

If you choose to go for the early access to the creators update, are you joining the Windows Insider Preview program or do you remain on the standard update system and just getting this update early?
Tony

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

One remains in the standard update system. Although the official release date of the Creators Update is the 11th of April, it has been available to non-Insiders since the 5th through Start > Settings > Update and Security.
Best wishes,
Hans

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Thanks, updating now
Tony

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

I very much doubt I will try this update. I allowed A Windows 10 machine to update late March and it deactivated itself! Used a disc image and tried again and it destroyed the desktop on all my user accounts and removed the notifications button. I'm very tired off and with Windows 10.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sorry to hear about your problems. With each version/update of Windows, there will be problems for some users. That is unavoidable, but it's sad for those who are affected.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

After a successful update to my desktop I decided to try updating my HP Stream 7 Tablet.

The tablet originally came with Windows 8.1 and I had successfully updated it to previous versions of Windows 10 Home 32bit in the past. It has very limited hardware specs, an Intel Atom 1.8GHz, 1GB of DDR3 RAM and a 32GB eMMc system flash drive. At the time of acquisition, I had added a 64GB MicroSD card for offloading personal files, OneDrive and Dropbox. I had read a few days ago that the Creator Update had not been released for the Intel Atom systems. But hey, when you are retired with time on your hands, what the heck!

I downloaded and ran the Windows 10 Update Assistant which reported that the CPU and Memory requirement was OK but the system disk was lacking the required space. It offered to run the Disk Cleanup Tool and I let it do its thing. 20 minutes later it finished that task and I was able to retest. This time it passed and we were off to the races. From the start of the download of the Creator Update to when the system was returned as being operational a mere 97 minutes had passed. Not bad for updating via a WiFi connection and with low end hardware.

I tested the apps on the tablet like Office 365, 1Password, browsers etc., and checked all the defaults. Everything was working as expected. I checked the properties of the 32GB system drive and it showed 20GB used with 9GB available.

I then decided to run CCleaner and was surprised that it was taking a bit longer than expected to run. I saw that it was scanning the windows.old folder and thought nothing of it at the time. When it completed its process it showed that over 11GB had been removed. Checking the detail showed that 11.278GB pertaining to 91,915 files from the windows.old folder had been removed. I had forgotten that I had opted to have that folder cleaned out by CCleaner. The good news is that all is working fine and my eMMC system drive is now using only 15.4GB with 12.8GB available.

Like the desktop update, I had to reset the SRP feature.

No more systems to update! :grin:

(And I do have a USB backup of the system drive circa Windows 8.1 if things go bump-in-the-dark)
Regards,
Bob

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

Just updated an older (and not very powerful) Acer Aspire laptop. From start of download (using the Upgrade Assistant) until completion was an acceptable 102 minutes. As with the other upgraders, I had to turn on System Restore. Apart from that, everything seems to be working flawlessly. :crossfingers:
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Do you mean you had to turn on system restore to install the update or that the update switched off system restore and you prefer to have it switched on? Thanks.

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

The update (as with the previous updates) switched it off and I had to turn it on again.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Same for me: the update disabled system restore, and I turned it on again.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

And, any previously created System Restore Points were deleted by the update process.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That is understandable, since a restore point created before the update would create havoc with the system files.
Best wishes,
Hans

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Has anybody seen any official reason why MS have disabled system restore by default in Windows 10. I've seen many theories in various forums but nothing official.
Tony