Change default font?

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Change default font?

Post by viking33 »

I have been googling around trying to find a way to change the default font in Win 10. I find the text particularly hard to read in File Explorer. I would probably be happy with just a Bold setting. Searches have not been very sucessful except for a rather complex hack. Win 7 is easy enough but of course, Win 10 seems to have eliminated the option completely. Apparently Segue UI is all you get and if you don't like it....tough!
Any ideas would be appreciated since Windows 10 continues to irritate me no end.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Change default font?

Post by Rudi »

Since Win10 removed the Window Color and Appearance settings, the only way to do this is with a registry hack.
If you make a restore point before you do anything and then use this documented script file, there should be no issues or complexities doing this, though it's still your decision.

You have probably found the same documentation I am pointing to, but see the web page here for instructions and here to copy the script.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Rudi wrote:Since Win10 removed the Window Color and Appearance settings, the only way to do this is with a registry hack.
If you make a restore point before you do anything and then use this documented script file, there should be no issues or complexities doing this, though it's still your decision.

You have probably found the same documentation I am pointing to, but see the web page here for instructions and here to copy the script.
After more searching, I did not find any other options but the ones I already found, which were also the ones you suggested. Downloading and using the zip file was a little less tedious, so I subbed the last font mentioned with Tahaoma Bold, exited and shoot, it looked like only the desktop icons were changed. Tried again, ( the stubborn squarehead that I am ) same, same. Then I noticed the little last step to reboot! Did so and this time it looks like a "keeper." I guess I always thought Registry edits were instantaneous?
One more Win 10 gripe out of the way.
Thanks, Rudi. Restored my confidence in my research!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX for the feedback.
For others annoyed with the font too, this will be useful.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Anyone know if there have been changes to Windows 10 so that font size/font type can be easily changed ... I have not found any info other than Reg changes which I am not willing to tackle. My lady's new W10 pc has very small font for the default system operations and it would be great to sort this out.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, apart from "Change the size of text, apps and other items" in Settings, Windows 10 doesn't offer any way to customize system fonts and font sizes in the interface.
S2287.png
Winaero Tweaker is a free utility that lets you customize many aspects of the Windows interface.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

viking33 wrote:I guess I always thought Registry edits were instantaneous?
Strictly-speaking, registry edits are instantaneous - but it depends on whether the bit of software being used reads the registry just before operating, or simply when it first starts up. Most system functions will read the relevant parts of the registry only on start-up - hence the need for a reboot in many instances.

For example, the well-known and snappily-titled LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy registry setting to get RDP to work to your PC (among a number of folder/file-related connectivity functions) requires a reboot before RDP will connect to your PC.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Try this font utility.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for your inputs ... I will have a study of these options.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.