Event ID: 623 error

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Event ID: 623 error

Post by BobArch2 »

Yesterday, I posted a query on the Microsoft Community Forum about a particular event error. I received a reply this morning that my query would be best served by the Microsoft TechNet support group. Contacting that group indicated that they do not deal with end users, like me, just business folks. Now before posting on the Community forum I did make extensive use of Google and could not find anything close to my issue. Leading me to post here to see if anyone has a suggestion or can lead me in the right direction. Here is a cut-n-paste of my posting on the Community Forum:

====================================================================================================

On 2016.09.24 the Event Id error 623 starting appearing in the Event Logs. (Full message information shown below)

I ran SFC /scannow (2016.09.29) which did not find any problems.

I ran Malwarebytes (2016.09.29) which did not find any problems.

I ran ESET Smart Security virus scan (2016.09.29) which did not find any problems.

I retraced what I did on the 24th and uninstalled each of those applications, one-by-one. After each single uninstall, I cleaned out the environment running CCleaner and also cleaned up the registry using CCleaner. Also restarted Windows 10 after each and every uninstall.

These are the application installs or updates or processes that were performed on the 24th:

Installed Microsoft Windows Automated Install Kit (I was building a Windows 7 installation DVD)
Updated Private Internet Access to v65
Turned on the Periodic Scan in Windows Defender to see if it would run while ESET SS was running (it did)

Uninstalled Windows AIK 2016.10.01. Ran CCleaner and restarted. Event 623 persisted.
Uninstalled Windows ADK 2016.10.01. Ran CCleaner and restarted. Event 623 persisted.
Ran routine to clear out Event Viewer Logs to make checking easier.
Uninstalled Private Internet Access v65. Ran CCleaner and restarted. Event 623 persisted.
Turned off Windows Defender Periodic Scan. Restarted, Event 623 persisted.
Cleaned out Event Viewer Logs and restarted. Within a few minutes Event 623 was back.

I've run out of ideas! :-) Any thoughts out there?

Here is a cut-n-paste of the recent event log entry:

Log Name: Application
Source: ESENT Logged: 10/3/2016 2:30:59 PM
Event ID: 623 Task Category: Transaction Manager
Level: Error Keywords: Classic
User: N/A Computer: P8P67Pro
OpCode:

More Information: Event Log Online Help (which goes to Microsoft marketing site)

General Information

Music.UI (5692) {FE4C2F06-B7E2-4796-B602-44C5187212A1}: The version store for this instance (0) has reached its
maximum size of 16Mb. It is likely that a long-running transaction is preventing cleanup of the version store and
causing it to build up in size. Updates will be rejected until the long-running transaction has been completely
committed or rolled back.
Possible long-running transaction:
SessionId: 0x000002456A871220
Session-context: 0x00000000
Session-context ThreadId: 0x0000000000002464
Cleanup: 1
Session-trace:
45861@2:30:59 PM
0@2:30:58 PM
0@2:30:58 PM
==================================================================================
Regards,
Bob

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Event ID: 623 error

Post by viking33 »

Googling that error code comes up with a lot of hits, talking about VPN connections or Windows could not find the phone book, etc.
Don't know if any of this applies to your situation or not? Not even sure I know what they are talking about.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Groove Music will automatically scan your music to identify tracks and download album art.
Do you have a music collection?
How big?
Joe

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

@viking33... thanks Bob. As previously stated I had searched with Google for an extensive period of time and could not find any matches related to "music.ui". Lots of other hits on Event 623 as you noticed.

@JoeP... thanks Joe. Just prior to logging on here I did another search of the Registry for "music" and found at least a 100 references (none for "music.ui"). Most related to Microsoft Zune Music and Groove. I believe Zune Music is tied in with Groove. Since I do not use Groove as my music player I went into the Apps section and uninstalled Groove. I again ran CCleaner and restarted. I'll monitor the Event Viewer to see if any more 623's pop up. In answer to your question about my music collection I have over 10,000 files (41.1GB) but not stored in the default Music folder. I have them stored on a separate hard drive and linked into Media Player and VLC. I had configured Media Player to not automatically scan for tracks and album art. Not sure I did that for VLC but will check. Regardless, all three media players have been installed on this PC for a long time. Neither MP nor VLC have had recent updates. As for Groove? It is very possible since it gets updated automatically through the Win10 process.

As a side note I had performed a restore of the SRP just prior to 2016.09.24, the start date of the problem. It did not help. I was going to perform a system image backup from the 23rd but thought I would be wasting time and effort if an application was responsible and resurfaced on or after the 24th. :grin:

The puzzle continues. Now, where did I put my deerslayer hat :scratch: :scratch:
Regards,
Bob

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I believe Zune music became Groove. Groove may have picked up your music collection location information from Media Player and started its work. So, uninstalling Groove will likely stop those errors.
Joe

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Well, it looks like Groove might have been the culprit causing the 623 event error. It has now been a little over 3 hours since the cleaning up and reboot after uninstalling Groove and no 623 errors have appeared in the Event Logs. :knockonwood: After previous reboots, the 623 error always surfaced within a few minutes.

If all is still AOK by tomorrow I just might play the devil and reinstall Groove to see what happens. Maybe! But no promises! :hairout:
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Well it has been 24 hours now and the Event error 623 pertaining to music.ui has not resurfaced. Contrary to yesterday's comment I will leave sleeping dogs lie and not reinstall Groove. Of course with Win10's automatic update, anything is possible. If 623 does reappear at least I will know where to look.

Thanks for listening and providing your comments. :cheers: :thankyou:
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Groove will almost certainly be reinstalled at the next "big" update (i.e. one comparable to the 1511 and 1607 updates).
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:Groove will almost certainly be reinstalled at the next "big" update (i.e. one comparable to the 1511 and 1607 updates).
And, I will be sure to keep the :smash: :smash: :smash:s ready !!! :grin: and :thankyou:
Regards,
Bob

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Being on the Insider Preview track I don't always remember which features are available now or will be shortly. Sometimes they will not be until the next really big update next spring. Anyway, I think Windows 10 will remember which "normal" apps you have uninstalled and not re-install them with the next update. NOTE: you may have to use a Microsoft Account for this to work.
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I use a Microsoft account in Windows 10. All apps that I uninstalled in the original release came back in the 1511 update, and all apps that I uninstalled in the 1511 release came back in the 1607 anniversary update.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:I use a Microsoft account in Windows 10. All apps that I uninstalled in the original release came back in the 1511 update, and all apps that I uninstalled in the 1511 release came back in the 1607 anniversary update.
Same thing with my "updates", insider or not. :hairout:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Told you I often can't remember the build which contains a feature. From the Insider Preview build 14926 release notes:

"Improving your PC upgrade experience: One of the ongoing feedback items we’ve heard is how the apps that come preinstalled with Windows will reinstall after each upgrade – particularly noticeable for our Insiders that receive multiple flights per month. We’ve heard your feedback, and starting with Build 14926, when your PC updates it will check for apps that have been uninstalled, and it will preserve that state once the update has completed. This means if you uninstall any of the apps included in Windows 10 such as the Mail app or Maps app, they will not get reinstalled after you update to a newer build going forward."

NOTE: This may not appear in the general release until the next major update in the spring of 2017.
Joe