W10 recovery partition for W7 - or is it?

aekyall
4StarLounger

W10 recovery partition for W7 - or is it?

Post by aekyall »

Not sure whether this belongs under W10 or Hardware - happy for it to be moved if necessary:

I have a 450MB partition on C: which is annotated as a recovery partition. Is this likely to be the partition MS created when installing W10 over W7, which would have allowed me to revert back to W7 if I wished (an option now timed out)? Or is it a W10 recovery partition? I can't see what, if anything is in the partition as the only option I get when I 'right click' on it is 'help' - which leads me to MS KB article on disc partitioning in general. If the 450 MB is sitting there empty and doing nothing then I'd like to free it up. I have a system image of W10, which I keep updated weekly, on the other HDD (T:)
Capture.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Re: W10 recovery partition for W7 - or is it?

Post by HansV »

No, it has nothing to do with Windows 10 - Microsoft stores the previous version in two folders on the C: drive.

Many systems suppliers provide a hidden partition that contains the installation files for the Windows version it came with. See Remove Your PC’s Recovery Partition and Take Control of Your Hard Drive and read the entire article carefully before you decide anything.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks. Will do
Regards,
Keith

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

The recovery partition has nothing to do with reverting back to the prior OS. The Windows 10 install procedure creates folders in the main Windows partition for rollback.

The 450MB recovery partition contains the Windows Recovery Environment (WInRE) tools. See BIOS/MBR-based hard drive partitions or UEFI/GPT-based hard drive partitions for more details on recommended partitioning.

I'd leave it alone.

Joe
Joe

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks Joe - The link provides a good explanation for the 450MB partition - as you suggest, I'll leave it well alone!!
Regards,
Keith

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Unlike the mirrors on cars, the objects (partitions) in DISKMGMT are much SMALLER than they appear. This partition is only 0.1% of your 500 GIGAbyte HDD. I have many individual files that wouldn't even fit on that partition. MEGAbytes just aren't what they used to be <sigh>.

Don't worry! Be happy!
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Okay! I'm happy!! :grin:
Regards,
Keith

chrunos
NewLounger

Post by chrunos »

this 450MB recovery partition allows you to boot into recovery environment where you can restore or fix your system. You should keep the recovery partition because you may need the recovery options when your system is in problem.
If you do need to delete it, you can do it safely by creating a Windows 10 recovery USB disk. after that, you will be given an option to delete recovery partition.