The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode

Rudi
gamma jay

The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode

Post by Rudi »

This is a very nice and informative article from How-To Geek that I thought might be worthwhile sharing for our Win10 users...

How-To Geek wrote:
Fast Startup combines elements of a cold shutdown and the hibernate feature. When you shut down your computer with Fast Startup enabled, Windows closes all applications and logs off all users, just as in a normal cold shutdown. At this point, Windows is in a state very similar to when it’s freshly booted up: No users have logged in and started programs, but the Windows kernel is loaded and the system session is running. Windows then alerts device drivers that support it to prepare for hibernation, saves the current system state to the hibernation file, and turns off the computer.

When you start the computer again, Windows does not have to reload the kernel, drivers, and system state individually. Instead, it just refreshes your RAM with the loaded image from the hibernation file and delivers you to the login screen. This technique can shave considerable time off your start up.

This is different from the regular hibernate feature. When you put your computer into hibernation mode, it also saves open folders and applications, as well as currently logged in users. Hibernation is great if you want to return your computer to the exact state it was in when you turned it off. Fast Startup offers a freshly-started Windows, just more quickly. And don’t forget, Windows offers various shutdown options too. It pays to understand how they differ.

There are a few interesting caveats that the article lists to.

Read it here...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Re: The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode

Post by HansV »

I turned off Fast Startup when I noticed that the Reliability Monitor listed an error each time I started my PC.
Windows 10 starts pretty quickly without Fast Startup anyway.
Best wishes,
Hans