New Windows Not Opening In Front Of Other Open Windows

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

New Windows Not Opening In Front Of Other Open Windows

Post by hlewton »

Since upgrading to Windows 10 many times, but not always, when opening a new window it will not appear on top of other open windows. I see a lot about this on the WEB dealing with Win 7, which is what I upgraded from. I never had this problem when using Win 7 but now I do. I have looked at the suggestions I found on the WEB and the ones dealing with the View settings seem to already be in place on my machine yet the new windows open behind others. Any suggestions on how to correct this?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: New Windows Not Opening In Front Of Other Open Windows

Post by HansV »

Does this (mainly) happen with specific applications or dialogs, or is it completely random?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I believe it would be considered random. I noticed it this morning, although thinking back this wasn't the first time it happened, I just didn't give it much thought until, as I said this morning. I have one of those programs, and have used it for more than 2 years now, that allows me to created right click options in the context menu allowing me to map network drives and computers with shortcuts to send backup files to. This morning the dialog box asking me to replace or keep the original file wasn't appearing as I am used to. Then I noticed it was blinking on the taskbar. Upon further examinations I found it was blinking because it had, in fact, opened only behind already open windows. This was a first. Also after discovering this I noticed and remembered the window that opens up telling you when Outlook is sending and receiving wasn't always popping up on top of open windows either. Sometimes it would, others it was behind Outlook itself. These are 2 examples I am sure about, one in Outlook and one while using Windows Explorer. I will have to pay closer attention to other windows when I open them while using FireFox. Right now I am not sure about those windows.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Do you work on dual monitors? There is software available that allows you to activate the window under your mouse arrow without having to click on the window. If this occurs, simply moving your mouse around might activate a window and cause the dialog being used/activated to appear below the window which the mouse activated.

Just a guess...I used to use mouse tweakers and can recall an issue like this (if memory serves correctly).
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

No I only have one monitor. When a window opens behind other windows I see a flashing indication on the taskbar now that I am aware of what to look for. Other than that there is no other indication this is taking place.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I have now confirmed that even when opening WEB pages they too open behind other open windows. As I mentioned earlier this is new since upgrading to Windows 10. It never happened when my machine was running Win 7.

This is yet t be confirmed but it is what I believe at present. Always the open window that these other windows open behind has been Outlook. I open it and always leave it open on my screen. I ran a few tests so it isn't conclusive but with Outlook minimized to the taskbar I opened a couple instances of Windows Explorer and then tried opening some WEB pages and in that limited testing the WEB pages did open on top. So not sure if somehow Outlook is the culprit or not. Just throwing it out as a possibility.
Regards,
hlewton

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Rudi wrote: Just a guess...I used to use mouse tweakers and can recall an issue like this (if memory serves correctly).
Are mouse tweakers anything like mouse sneakers? :scratch: :grin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:Do you work on dual monitors? There is software available that allows you to activate the window under your mouse arrow without having to click on the window. If this occurs, simply moving your mouse around might activate a window and cause the dialog being used/activated to appear below the window which the mouse activated.

Just a guess...I used to use mouse tweakers and can recall an issue like this (if memory serves correctly).

Sorry I forgot to answer this part of the post. Not sure what mouse tweakers are but I am not using anything with the mouse except the Logitech software that came with it.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

hlewton wrote:Sorry I forgot to answer this part of the post. Not sure what mouse tweakers are but I am not using anything with the mouse except the Logitech software that came with it.
FYI - I use WizMouse (from Antibody Software), which does exactly what I mentioned above, except that is DOES NOT cause the issues reported in this thread.

Bob... Here is your mouse sneaker(s)... :laugh:
Spoiler
Mouse Sneaker(s).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See the information about ForegroundLockTimeout in Disable Flashing Taskbar buttons or icons on Windows taskbar. It may help. The article is about Windows 8.1 but should apply to 10 also.

Joe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you Joe I will check it out.
Regards,
hlewton