Native Win10 Print to PDF option

Rudi
gamma jay

Native Win10 Print to PDF option

Post by Rudi »

Here is a nice to know if you work with (or need) PDF functionality...
See the full article on the Windows Club here, with instructions to activate or deactivate it if needed...

The Windows Club wrote:
Print to PDF in Windows 10 without using any software

Windows 10 allows you to Print to PDF natively, using Microsoft Print to PDF, which is built into Windows 10. You now no longer need to use any third-party free software to print files to PDF. Microsoft Print to PDF is a feature, built into Windows 10, that lets you create a PDF file from several file formats using a native printer. If you right-click on a file and select Print, you will see Microsoft Print to PDF as one of the print options available.
microsoft-print-to-pdf-windows-10-3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Re: Native Win10 Print to PDF option

Post by Carol W. »

Thanks, Rudi. I've always been a big fan of Pdf995 which does the job but has annoying ads.
Carol W.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

The Windows Club wrote:...You now no longer need to use any third-party free software to print files to PDF...
I suppose this 'explains' why there's at least one report of the latest Win 10 update breaking Nitro PDF:
http://www.askwoody.com/2016/report-of- ... nitro-pdf/

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Why would that explain it? 'Microsoft Print to PDF' is merely an extra printer driver, and it wasn't introduced in build 10586.104, but in the initial release of July 29, 2015.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I was being extremely cynical and implying that now that Win 10 includes a native print to PDF, MS have updated Win 10 such that it kills the competition and their motivation is so that they can add data about PDF creation to all the other telemetry Win 10 gives them. :evilgrin:

Of course I have absolutely no basis at all for such an outrageous opinion so I'd better add some Weasel Words:
    This opinion is free. It comes without any warranty, to the extent permitted by applicable law. You can redistribute it and/or modify it blah blah...

:grin:

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have Foxit Reader; its PDF printer still works OK in Windows 10 (with the latest updates)...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:smile: As I said, I have absolutely no basis at all for such an outrageous opinion.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Before Office 2013, I used CutePDF for ages to print to PDF.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Gee, I wonder if some "smart" programmer at Nitro figured out a "slick" way to interface with printing subsystem and is now paying the price for not using the standard API method? :evilgrin:

Joe
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Many 3rd party PDF creators, including Adobe Acrobat. now appear to cause problems with the print spooler in Windows 10.
Pity, for the print to PDF option built into Windows 10 produces files that are many times the size of those created by for example Foxit, without a noticeable difference in quality.
Best wishes,
Hans