Microsoft wants you to upgrade to Windows 10, like it or not

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I don't think, evil though Microsoft is, that they will succeed in installing Win10 without my concurrence, but given the ability of ASKToolbar and the like to slip past unguarded eyes ....

I note in the article "Windows 10 has many improvements over its predecessors – especially Windows 8. ..."

That sounds like "Look, you might be happy with Win7, but we really screwed up on Win8, so we are forcing you to migrate to Win10".
Speaking as someone who doesn't have a smart phone and doesn't need compatible aps ... :cranky:

"Older machines also might have software that won’t work on Windows 10, so you’d have to spend money upgrading those programs, if upgrades are available at all. Printers, scanners and other accessories also might need new controlling software, called drivers. If a driver update isn’t available, you might find yourself with a dead accessory."
This was my experience when I had to migrate from WinXP; a well-functioning scanner became a useless piece of metal and plastic.

I note with concern that the section "What if you don’t like Windows 10?" reinforces dependency on MSoft to get it right ("Microsoft keeps a backup of your system for a month") but makes no mention of a System Image on DVDs.
Stored in a fireproof safe.
In your accountant's office.
On the other side of town.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Microsoft wants you to upgrade to Windows 10, like it or

Post by DaveA »

BUT, I have notice that we are getting fewer and fewer "Nag" screens. We have just been closing out the one we are getting.
I have not had one in several days now on any of my machines.

Knocking on wood!
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:BUT, I have notice that we are getting fewer and fewer "Nag" screens. ...
Be very, very afraid!
More OTA software updates coming to a car near you

Who likes software updates? They’re those recurring installations that kick in just when you are about to shut off your laptop for the day, or the pesky alerts on your smartphone reminding you about a shiny, new version of the operating system.
(snip!)
Constant software improvements are no longer limited to personal electronics. As thousands of new lines of code get added to cars with every new model, version updates are becoming the norm for vehicles as well.

(signed) "Saturday night, and Out-of-dates" of Toronto.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

DaveA wrote:BUT, I have notice that we are getting fewer and fewer "Nag" screens. We have just been closing out the one we are getting.
I only get the nag screen after I have employed CCleaner to get rid of the usual stuff and after the next restart and bringing up IE. Between cleanups, no nag screen. So there must be a cookie lurking around after that first nag that prevents further annoyances.
Regards,
Bob

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobArch2 wrote:
DaveA wrote:BUT, I have notice that we are getting fewer and fewer "Nag" screens. We have just been closing out the one we are getting.
I only get the nag screen after I have employed CCleaner to get rid of the usual stuff and after the next restart and bringing up IE. Between cleanups, no nag screen. So there must be a cookie lurking around after that first nag that prevents further annoyances.
Look for a cookie named "eikooc". (MS stealth cookie!) :evilgrin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

viking33 wrote:Look for a cookie named "eikooc". (MS stealth cookie!) :evilgrin:
And it ain't even April 1 yet... :hairout:
Regards,
Bob