Can't update Win10

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Can't update Win10

Post by viking33 »

While I was here in Win 10, I noticed that there were many ( over 12) failures to update to Version 1511 in the update history. Tried once more and it came back with a vague error that it could not update now try again later?
I ran the Update troubleshooter and it reported no problems found?
Looking at MS update help, one answer was to delete the file in the update download folder and try again. I did and got the same error.

Love this windows 10! :flee:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Can't update Win10

Post by JoeP »

The error code can really help pointing in the correct direction.
Did you try disabling your A/V before attempting to update?
You could try the Media Creation Tool.

Joe
Joe

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

I've run into a similar situation with trying to install Version 1511 on my desktop computer. I get the error message "0xc1900101-0x30018 The installation failed in the First_Boot phase with an error during SYSPREP operation".

From everything that I've read, this is a driver issue. The update aborts around the 32% mark and then restores the original Windows 10 installation. I have tried every suggestion that I can find (including a clean boot, disconnecting from the internet when installing, installing from the media creation tool, etc., etc., etc.). What I cannot understand is the fact that originally, the upgrade adviser indicated that my system was compatible with Windows 10 and proceeded to install Windows 10 (the original version). Since that time, the only things that have changed are security updates and drivers which Windows 10 insisted on installing (in particular an NVidia driver). For the present, I've given up trying to install 1511. I'm not the only one with this problem and perhaps MS is working on a solution. Until (or if) that happens, I'll have to be content with Build 10240.

My other 2 machines have updated with absolutely no issues. :scratch:
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

It looks like I have finally resolved this update issue, with the help of an MS tech Support person.
We checked a number of things but then went into the Services folder. Checked the obvious ones like Windows Update enabled on Auto, etc., then saw that the BITS service ( Background Intelligent Transfer Service ) was stopped. Attempts to Start it went nowhere, then checked it's Dependencies like System RPS, System Event Notification. All were up and running OK.
Tried a third time and this time it started up OK!
Then went to Windows Update and checked for 1511 update and son of a gun, it started downloading and though it took "forever" to finish downloading and installing a few times, it was successful.
Now have corrected one of two W10 issues. The other mentioned in another post but will go back to that one in a bit.
Thanks to all who suggested answers to this thread.
BOB

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Phew! Nice to hear that an MS Tech Support person was able to help - one usually hears negative stories about them.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:Phew! Nice to hear that an MS Tech Support person was able to help - one usually hears negative stories about them.
You are right! This person was pretty sharp and a little hard to understand but certainly not like some of the ones where I had to ask to speak to another rep. He did a good job.
BOB