Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

StuartR
Administrator

Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

Post by StuartR »

I have a 3 year old laptop that runs Windows 7. I make heavy use of Office 2013 (Excel, Word and PowerPoint) for work, and I use web browsers (IE11, Firefox and Chrome) for general browsing and social media. Most of the time this laptop sits on a docking station and I use it with an external keyboard and monitor with a dual monitor display.

I am quite happy with Windows 7, and I don't see a need to upgrade, but I'd be prepared to install Windows 10 if there were any significant benefits. Can anyone give me a good reason why I should go for Windows 10, or shall I just leave this laptop on Windows 7 for the remaining 2 or 3 years that I expect it to last?
StuartR

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

Post by Claude »

My philosophy has always been: If it ain't broken, don't fix it. I still have a computer running on XP, the Win 8.1 one frequently suggests I go to 10, but I just ignore that, haven't heard any reports that suggest any good reasons why I should upgrade.
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If your laptop still runs well on Windows 7, I'd stay with it.
Windows 10 is OK but it is kind of half finished at the moment. Parts of it look like Windows 7, others like Windows 8.1...
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I'm still on Win 7 too, although it is a work laptop I use and our company has not yet jumped onto the Win 10 bandwagon. When they do, I will be one of the first to upgrade, but that is more for work purposes and not necessarily by choice.
Based on the few replies in this thread it certainly sounds as if Windows 7 was the pinnacle of the MS OS's and still seems to be the case.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Rudi wrote:snip... Windows 7 was the pinnacle of the MS OS's ...snip
Never heard it put quite that way, but I think you're right, Rudi. Win 7 was about as good as it got; everything since seems to have been change for the sake of change. That said, I have switched over to Win 10 and I'm pleased with it (most of the time).
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:...I am quite happy with Windows 7, and I don't see a need to upgrade, ...
I agree with all the preceding comments.
(despite my musings on Jumping Ship, I think I'm at the same point: "Should I upgrade?")

I think that you WILL need to upgrade - bit only when some external event shows you that you need to.
Almost by definition, if we ask if we need to upgrade, it's a sign that we haven't yet found a need to upgrade. :cheers:
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

You have until the end of next July to get the free upgrade.
I am going to wait until June and then make my final decision to upgrade or not.

I do have a NEW Windows 10 machine, in which is my prime, but there are 4 other Windows 7 machines and a Windows 8.1 machine.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Upgraded to W10.
Except for a few niggling issues (slow boot up from Standby, occasional screen freeze with no mouse) I like it and the various colours you can choose etc under Personalisation. I was going to wait until June myself but I love new toys :grin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I've said it before but again, I use Win 7 as my prime OS but have Win 10 as a dual boot option. I only go into Win 10 to look for updates and mouse around trying a thing or two, mostly to know just a little about 10 and not get caught in a bind if or when Win 7 gets yanked. I have Windows set to boot automatically into 7 and I intend to keep it that way into the future.
There was an old song that went: " I know a little bit about a lot of things but I don't know enough about you."
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Another vote here for Windows 7, at least for the next 3 or 4 months. I have Windows 10 in a virtual machine, in which I run Office 2016 (both on the Insiders programs), and I'm watching their evolution carefully. I don't yet trust it enough, especially with Microsoft's forced updates policy, to switch the host machine. If something goes bump in the night, I can drop the VM in the trash and restore the previous VM from backup fairly quickly.

OTOH, I'm probably going to upgrade the Missus' laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 in the next week or two. She doesn't care that much about OS matters and also has a desktop PC on Windows 7, and I have image backups to restore if necessary.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Thank you for all the responses. I guess I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for now then. I may revisit this question again in June, before the free upgrade goes away.
StuartR

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

If you ever plan to come to Australia and visit us, you'll find that we have 10 windows upstairs, and, you're most welcome to clean them so I don't have to do it myself. :evilgrin:
Cheers, Claude.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

:laugh:

Just watch that Stuart does not arrive with any viruses as you'll get infected no matter how many windows you have upstairs.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Folks,
I've had the image below on my laptop for ages, and I'm still getting nagged to upgrade.
RR.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

They want you to buy a new PC (or a new graphics card...) :crazy:
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

HansV wrote:They want you to buy a new PC (or a new graphics card...) :crazy:
My laptop manufacturer, Packard Bell don't have an upgraded graphics card. If I get a new one it will be made by HP.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See Andre Da Costa's post at What are the advantages of Windows 10 over Windows 7? for a succinct list.

I use a Microsoft account and like syncing settings and IE favorites between PCs. I also like Cortana the more I use her.

You can get a 90 day free trial of Win10 Enterprise at Windows Evaluations if you wish. Run it in a VM. You can then just trash the VM after 90 days and decide then about upgrading.

Joe
Joe