WIN 10 PC locked

steveh
SilverLounger

WIN 10 PC locked

Post by steveh »

Hi all

I bought a new cheap laptop (HP) which had WIN10 on it to test for a DR box that I am putting together (10 cheap laptops, 10 cheap printers etc. to hand out to staff in case of a DR situation), when I started the login process it kept insisting I use an MSN account that I don't have and don't want, so I made up a load of old nonsense just to get into the laptop little realising that you have to use the MSN account to log into the laptop!!

I have now idea what I put in except I set the account up as msnuksucks@outlook.com, typed in any old combination of 11 numbers to fool into thinking it was a UK number and didn't enter another email address, now I can't get into the laptop at all, any ideas please??
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

HansV
Administrator

Re: WIN 10 PC locked

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

steveh
SilverLounger

Re: WIN 10 PC locked - resolved

Post by steveh »

Hi Hans

Thank you for the link, sadly I could not get any of the suggestions to work

1. Option 1 Account recovery from MS was my own fault for not bothering to record anything as I didn't think I would ever need it again.
2. Option 2 suggested I change the boot order and then restart which I did but it would not allow me to use shift + F10 and went straight to the login screen
3. Option 3, call MS, this was about as useful as a chocolate fireguard as all they kept saying was you will be charged for this service and couldn't understand why I would not want an outlook account!!

Contacting Toshiba was not helpful either but out=r IT people suggested holding down shift + 0 but when the dialog came up about format the hard drive they said whoa!

I thought I would have a play about this morning as I had nothing to lose and the first option I tried shift + 1 allowed me to reset it to its delivery condition, I don't know if this is peculiar to Toshiba or to any laptop

As usual thanks :cheers:
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm not familiar with Shift+1 for resetting a laptop, it may well be specific to Toshiba.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

If what you want is to reset a password, have you thought of booting the Offline NT Password and Registry Editor CD?

I've not used it on Windows 10, but it is a great standby for me in Windows 7 where someone has tried the wrong password several times on my standard administrator account on a laptop, and locked out the account.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: WIN 10 PC locked - resolved

Post by stuck »

steveh wrote:...I don't know if this is peculiar to Toshiba or to any laptop...
The ability to return to the factory default shipping state isn't unique to Toshiba, I've refreshed HP and Acer machines in that way.

However each manufacture uses their own particular key combination to invoke a factory restore, it may even be unique to the model of laptop/PC in question. Having said that the two (different) Acer machines I've reset both used Alt+F10.

Ken