Windows 10 Opening screen

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Re: Windows 10 Opening screen

Post by BobArch2 »

RonH wrote:... Had a bit more of a read and it does seem a bit 'dodgy' to take the 'delete' action.
Just a shot-in-the-dark here, but have you checked the version of the graphics driver on your HP laptop vs what is "current" according to the HP web site?

I would have tried to research the HP site but I do not know what model you have. Be aware that when searching on model numbers use the full model number. For example searching for G40 might not give the desired results because there are many sub models with different specs. There again, perhaps you know that and in which case, apologies.

While using the Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview in my desktop environment I have experienced issues where the Microsoft provided graphic drivers caused many issues. Getting the appropriate driver(s) from the graphic card's manufacturer resolved the issues. However, current MS provided drivers seem to be OK. Sometimes a bit of a gamble.

And as advised by Hans, ensure that whatever action you take, do not forget to create a System Restore Point before starting.
Regards,
Bob

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for input Bob.

I looked a while ago for drivers at the AMD site but all references are back to HP for this pc. Doing the online test through HP results in the following:
HP Software & Drivers.JPG
Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.

Useful ha :grin: My pc is obviously to old for HP though they were very pleased that on my last two HP laptop purchases I also paid for the 2 year extended warranties! But try to get an answer from them as soon as the warranty expires ... it was purchased 2011 and still functions well even though now very old :sad: At least that is a positive for HP QC.

Will have to see if Microsoft ever update the drivers but they can only do this via input from HP. Looks like sleep delay is gonna be it. I will go hunting through the HP forums again ... you never know ...
Stop Press!
Had another look at AMD with this result ...
AMD.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

An update ... we should always update, shouldn't we :fanfare:
Just installed ...
AMD.JPG
... and the time taken for a screen to light up from Sleep has reduced from 75 to 45 seconds. If they keep going at this rate I may get 'light up' virtually as soon as I open the lid ... like I used to on W7 :grin:
Interestingly HP and AMD seemed to be of the opinion before this update that there was not going to be one for my ageing graphics ... must have copped a few complaints.

Merry Christmas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Oh dear ... I spoke to soon. The improved time became an almost instant start up from Standby and then MS did another update and then ... back to 75 secs :sad:

I notice that there appears (almost daily) a long string of 'Application Reconfigurations' in the Reliability Monitor... is this common? Used to get a few of these on W7 but now it is a lot :scratch: I am guessing that this must be partly related to programme 'fixes/updates' and it happens each time that I boot the pc from scratch. 10's Forum has a bit to say about this ... http://www.tenforums.com/general-discus ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and also the Microsoft Community.

I wonder if all these changes also have something to do with my slow screen-up from Sleep? Interestingly, from Sleep to my password screen takes 75 sec as does a cold start from Shut Down to the same screen.This cannot be a coincidence but I have checked that 'Sleep' means sleep in my settings for Lid Closure. 75 sec should not faze me but ..... :groan:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I only get "Successful application reconfiguration" when Microsoft releases a new build of Office 2016, which happened 3 times during the last month. I wouldn't expect this to happen each time to start Windows.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for info Hans.
Quite a few reports on the net about this and slow boot issues. I think that all I can do is sit back and wait to see if there will be a MS fix to this irritation. Pity, I was really getting to love W10 but as the days pass W7 is looking more attractive ... but we won't give up yet :grin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.