Windows 10 Opening screen

RonH
SilverLounger

Windows 10 Opening screen

Post by RonH »

I am sure that this is dealt with but I cannot find ...

I Sleep my pc by closing the lid and wake it by opening. Since installing W10, the screen on opening stays black for maybe up to 1 minute and then opens with one of Microsoft's 'Screen Savers' and 'Like what you see'. I keep clicking on 'Not a fan' rather than 'Show me more' but more keep coming! After a small series I finally get to my log on screen. How can I stop this procedure so as to open from Standby in a timely way ... or do you simply have to accept the ways of Microsoft getting opinion?

Cheers Ron.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 10 Opening screen

Post by HansV »

Click Start > Settings.
Click Personalization.
Click Lock Screen.
Under Background, you probably see 'Windows Spotlight'.
Select Picture instead.
Then select a background picture (click Browse... if necessary).
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Hans ... I also found that this screen can be swiped up using my mouse (no touchscreen) to get to my sign in screen. But from opening the lid until I get any 'screen' still takes in excess of 1 minute :scratch: Any ideas please.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Ron,
I don't know about that claim by MS is really true, that WIn 10 boots up faster?
As mentioned in another thread, I don't have very much installed in the 10 partition beyond just a few other things but my impression thus far is that Win 10 OS is slower than Win 7 on boot.
I should actually time them both to compare but thus far have not done so. JMHO
Last edited by viking33 on 26 Nov 2015, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Bob,
Pre W10, when I opened the lid (function-Sleep) I was at my log in screen immediately. Now there is time to go and 'make a drink' ... a bit over 1 minute until my black screen gets some pixels! This can't be normal surely? Have to do a bit more searching or become more patient :grin: Apart from this issue, I must admit to being well satisfied ... so far.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

My PC with Windows 10 Home boots and shuts down in a matter of seconds...
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Looks like a gremlin then in my pc.
Any ideas about what I can check?
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could try WhatInStartup and/or AutoRuns to see what processes start automatically. The latter is much more comprehensive, but therefore also harder to interpret. Both are free.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Are you sure it is sleeping and not hibernating? It may be hybrid sleep where it sleeps for a period then hibernates.

Joe
Joe

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks folks ... I will make some 'deeper' investigations.
Very odd, pc from Sleep takes 80 sec for screen to show the start ... totally unlit up to this time, no backlighting.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just had a look at the Task Manager. These are the 'high usage' Start Ups' ... don't know if this gives you any clues to what I should look at :scratch:
Cheers Ron
PS There is a lot of 'internet talk' about this issue. I will tread water for some days to see if the situation improves.
Start Up.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You'll have to decide whether you need all of them.

Do you save files in OneDrive or synchronize files to it by default? If not, I'd disable OneDrive - there is no need for it to be running all the time. You can always visit OneDrive in your browser when you want to save or retrieve a file there.

The Easybits Software update notification can probably be disabled too.

You could set others to start with a delay - press the Windows key, type Services and press Enter. You can set services to start up delayed there:
S0771.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Nice to 'talk' with folk who know what they are doing :thankyou:
Will report back after I have been digging. My caution is that I do not know what Start Ups are critical to operation, hence end up with a 'dead pc'.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Don't disable items if you're not sure what they're for!
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If this is really a sleep problem your startup items are not the cause. That does not mean you should ignore them.

Joe
Joe

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

You raise an interesting point Joe. I am sure that we are looking at wake up from sleep (which is how I usually set the pc) and in a sleep mode I understand that all loaded programmes are retained for quick recovery. Now last night, whilst waiting for the 'screen', I heard an email come in which suggests that the pc has booted up except the screen. So what is delaying the screen and by a fairly precise 75 seconds?

Thinking back to my W7 days, I recall on very rare occasions when I opened the lid the screen did not come up almost instantly. In those situations, I simply closed the lid again, waited a few seconds, opened it and all was normal. I will check this on W10 as soon as I have posted and advise.

Back in a few minutes.
Last edited by RonH on 28 Nov 2015, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Gets more interesting!

Closed all files, closed lid, waited, opened lid, no screen, closed lid BUT the pc did not enter sleep. The HP backlight remained on. Opened lid, waited but not so long ... think that the 75 sec wait commenced at the time when I 1st opened lid. So the operation is different to when I had W7 and has a relationship with W10. I have read about W10 being slow to boot but what I looked at was from shutdown.

Any suggestions most welcome.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just read this:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-H ... -p/5180799

Is it safe to take the action described below ... extract from this above thread
I have resolved the problem on my HP Pavilion DV6. I deleted the graphics drivers then rebooted, allowing Windows to reinstall them.
Since then resume from Sleep has been much quicker (just a few seconds) and the speed of a complete Restart has also increased significatly.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's worth a try, but I'd create a restore point first. That way you can easily go back if necessary.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Good morning Hans ... I shouldn't be taking up your Saturday time but thanks.
Had a bit more of a read and it does seem a bit 'dodgy' to take the 'delete' action. I will keep searching to see if there is a clear solution to this issue and if not, will wait to see what develops. Will post here if I solve.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.